• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motion to Change Venue / Days to Respond

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TatersDaaDaa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

So I hope this is fairly simple. My ex moved from Central Florida to the edge of the Panhandle (about 7.5 hours) last November. I had been making the every other week trips to see my son. I had resisted moving / transferring because the pay scale was vastly different in the two areas. Eventually, the trips began to wear on my health, my job, and my vehicle. So I took the transfer, $16K less a year, and moved to be by my son.

Now our case is still held by Volusia County. I refraimed from trying to get it transferred because I was told I would be responsible for all filing fees in the new County as well as a transfer fee. However, the Dept. of Revenue could actually do this for free. So I went ahead and filed my Supp. Petition to Modify Child Support & Supp. Petition to Modify Child Custody (Custody is about decreasing weekly visitation and increasing summer visitation gradually until the minor child begins school).

She was served with the Petitions on August 22, 2008. This gave her 20 days to respond. Yesterday, she filed for a Motion to Change Venue - which I really don't contest...

However, will this reset her time to respond?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

So I hope this is fairly simple. My ex moved from Central Florida to the edge of the Panhandle (about 7.5 hours) last November. I had been making the every other week trips to see my son. I had resisted moving / transferring because the pay scale was vastly different in the two areas. Eventually, the trips began to wear on my health, my job, and my vehicle. So I took the transfer, $16K less a year, and moved to be by my son.

Now our case is still held by Volusia County. I refraimed from trying to get it transferred because I was told I would be responsible for all filing fees in the new County as well as a transfer fee. However, the Dept. of Revenue could actually do this for free. So I went ahead and filed my Supp. Petition to Modify Child Support & Supp. Petition to Modify Child Custody (Custody is about decreasing weekly visitation and increasing summer visitation gradually until the minor child begins school).

She was served with the Petitions on August 22, 2008. This gave her 20 days to respond. Yesterday, she filed for a Motion to Change Venue - which I really don't contest...

However, will this reset her time to respond?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Yes, and possibly no.

Typically, when a case is moved from one county to another, the transfer will end up dismissing any pending petitions/motions. You might have to file all over again once the case is transferred. The best way to find out if you need to refile is by asking your local sel-help center as soon as you know the case is transferred to your new county.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">