• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motion to Modify Child Support Recieved - What now?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ColoradoGirl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CO

My ex just submitted a Motion to Modify Child Support with the court. The terms appear to be prohibitively excessive. Foolishly, but in good faith, I signed the modified parenting plan last month. That plan outlines how things have been since 2008. The motion that was filed on Dec 11th sites our agreement to modify the parenting plan as grounds for a retroactive child support change. The current child support agreement states that neither party shall seek child support from the other in perpetuity. The long and the short of it is that they're requesting $35k in back support and $574+/month. They further assert that I am able to work 40hrs per week despite the fact that I am a full time student and that, as such, I should be liable for child support as though I were working full time. I currently work 25hrs/wk at $15/hr and have for 3yrs now. I am clear that my children need my support and I have given what I can month to month for 10yrs. It is no where near the state minimums.

I am remarried and we provide 100% support for my two step children one of which was recently diagnosed with MS and both of which have developmental disabilities. They state in the new motion that my spouse has made it possible for me to work full time. This is obviously the truth and also obviously designed to suggest a bigger pile of money that should be considered in the judges decision. The reality of our household finances is that we operate on a monthly budget of $7500 while earning about $7000. My spouse and I are each being garnished at the rate of 25% of our gross income ($1750 total). There's currently $23k waiting in cue for garnishment so, in 13mos, give or take, that will be paid + anything else that goes to garnishment because we can't pay in that time.

No excuses. We haven't paid all our bills, including my support obligation, on time or in full. We owe and we're paying, albeit under duress. We've paid $32k off in since 2008. I want to support my kids. The simple reality is that it often comes down to a choice of food on the table here or paying child support. Under Colorado law, if this motion carries, there will be no choice.

My questions are: How do I respond to this Motion? Do I wait till court? Do they advise me of the court date? Do I file a counter? Do I press for arbitration? If so how?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

My ex just submitted a Motion to Modify Child Support with the court. The terms appear to be prohibitively excessive. Foolishly, but in good faith, I signed the modified parenting plan last month. That plan outlines how things have been since 2008. The motion that was filed on Dec 11th sites our agreement to modify the parenting plan as grounds for a retroactive child support change. The current child support agreement states that neither party shall seek child support from the other in perpetuity. The long and the short of it is that they're requesting $35k in back support and $574+/month. They further assert that I am able to work 40hrs per week despite the fact that I am a full time student and that, as such, I should be liable for child support as though I were working full time. I currently work 25hrs/wk at $15/hr and have for 3yrs now. I am clear that my children need my support and I have given what I can month to month for 10yrs. It is no where near the state minimums.

I am remarried and we provide 100% support for my two step children one of which was recently diagnosed with MS and both of which have developmental disabilities. They state in the new motion that my spouse has made it possible for me to work full time. This is obviously the truth and also obviously designed to suggest a bigger pile of money that should be considered in the judges decision. The reality of our household finances is that we operate on a monthly budget of $7500 while earning about $7000. My spouse and I are each being garnished at the rate of 25% of our gross income ($1750 total). There's currently $23k waiting in cue for garnishment so, in 13mos, give or take, that will be paid + anything else that goes to garnishment because we can't pay in that time.

No excuses. We haven't paid all our bills, including my support obligation, on time or in full. We owe and we're paying, albeit under duress. We've paid $32k off in since 2008. I want to support my kids. The simple reality is that it often comes down to a choice of food on the table here or paying child support. Under Colorado law, if this motion carries, there will be no choice.

My questions are: How do I respond to this Motion? Do I wait till court? Do they advise me of the court date? Do I file a counter? Do I press for arbitration? If so how?
https://childsupport.state.co.us/siteuser/do/vfs/Frag?file=/cm:home.jsp

Your spouse needs to use the above link to apply for CS services for his/her children. You need to read it to figure out how CS works. :cool:

Ladyback1

first thing: You are capable of working 40 hrs/week. You choose to be a full-time student. You may not get the luxury of being a full-time student anymore.
second thing: I would suggest you NOT mention that your current family takes precedence over your first family.
third thing: I would suggest you figure out how to downsize. Some people make barely $7000 in 4-6 months and manage....
fourth thing: how are you being garnished if there was no support order? Oh wait! You have other kids from other relationships? Which brings me to: If you are 100% supporting the 2 stepchildren, how is the mother being garnished?

If you are working 25 hrs/wk @ $15, that is $375/wk. Assuming that you work 4 weeks/month that is $1500. Your current spouse must have an excellent job!

Something about your math is confusing...

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? The simple reality is that it often comes down to a choice of food on the table here or paying child support. Under Colorado law, if this motion carries, there will be no choice.

Actually, the "simple" reality is going to school, or supporting your children. And..... You are not LEGALLY responsible for supporting your spouse's children.

Ladyback - the garnishments are apparently not for CS, but for other defaults.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Actually, the "simple" reality is going to school, or supporting your children. And..... You are not LEGALLY responsible for supporting your spouse's children.

I always thought Child support garnishments had priority.

The current child support agreement states that neither party shall seek child support from the other in perpetuity
Any agreement that limits or prohibits either party from seeking a child support modification is against public policy and is unenforceable.

ColoradoGirl

There is no or. The state is about to dictate a choice I should have made voluntarily.

ColoradoGirl

\Guess it is time for you to quit school, and your spouse to seek CS from the other parent.
I will support my kids to the best of my ability. Completing my degree increases my earning potential. I can work more than full time and go to school. I will not seek support from the other parent. I'm not interested in leaving my marriage.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I will support my kids to the best of my ability. Completing my degree increases my earning potential. I can work more than full time and go to school. I will not seek support from the other parent. I'm not interested in leaving my marriage.
That wasn't suggested. What was suggested was for your spouse to seek child support from the other parent of your step-children.

ColoradoGirl

Thank you all for your responses. This has been an emotional few days and I need information to proceed rationally. Thank you for your understanding. What paperwork do I need to submit to the court pursuant to receiving service of a Motion to Modify Child Support? I understand I have 20 days to respond from date of service.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">