• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motion to move Divorce Decree to Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Papo

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I'm a resident of Virginia, my divorce decree was in Georgia, my ex-wife is a resident of Florida.
I received a lawsuit for child support increase on 5 Dec 06. I have 20 days to respond to this matter. However I have never given permission for the Divorce Decree to be move to Florida from Georgia.

Can the Divorce Decree be changed to Florida if I don't agree with it?

Can I request the court to dismiss this case?

Most of the lawyer say it can be done, some say it can't be done. I don't know who to believe.

The only thing that I received before this lawsuit was a paperwork from the Broward County Administrator of a Notice of Recording Foreign Judgment with the Divorce Decree attach.

Thanks for the help

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I'm a resident of Virginia, my divorce decree was in Georgia, my ex-wife is a resident of Florida.
I received a lawsuit for child support increase on 5 Dec 06. I have 20 days to respond to this matter. However I have never given permission for the Divorce Decree to be move to Florida from Georgia.

Can the Divorce Decree be changed to Florida if I don't agree with it?

Can I request the court to dismiss this case?

Most of the lawyer say it can be done, some say it can't be done. I don't know who to believe.

The only thing that I received before this lawsuit was a paperwork from the Broward County Administrator of a Notice of Recording Foreign Judgment with the Divorce Decree attach.

Thanks for the help
There is no reason why GA would be willing to keep jurisdiction of the case when neither party resides in GA any longer. If mom and the child(ren) live in FL, then you aren't going to get jurisdiction transferred to VA for custody or visitation matters. Jurisdiction for child support matters might be able to be transferred to VA, but in the end that won't change anything for you. Florida and VA are both going to be involved in the child support issue no matter which state has jurisdiction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">