• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my boyfriend's parents obliged to pay for the baby if my boyfriend cannot work?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Anonymous28

I am pregnant with a baby but my boyfriend (25 year old) is now into religion and he is moving to Tibet in 3 months. Now, his parents are extremely rich, so by law, are they obliged to support the baby if my boyfriend cannot support the baby?

Is it possible to sue them for the child support If I cannot verbally reach to an agreement with his family?

PS. His family is letting my boyfriend go to Tibet for indefinitely time, and it is likely that he and I will end the relationship.

Can the state force him to work?

The fact that my boyfriend does not want to work is his choice. Would the law make him work to support the baby? What if he really doesn't want it? Can the state force him to work?

At the end of the day, he and I are both responsible for the child. It is his choice not to work and go to tibet.

I am have 2 years left on my PhD, and I would need some kind of support untill i finish my studies. After that I am planning to raise the child on my own, but it would be pleasant if the child gets some kind of support from his side of the family as well.

The state is New York.

Last edited:

Just Blue

I am pregnant with a baby but my boyfriend is now into religion and he is moving to Tibet in 3 months. Now, his parents are extremely rich, so by law, are they obliged to support the baby if my boyfriend cannot support the baby?

Is it possible to sue them for the child support If I cannot verbally reach to an agreement with his family?

His family is letting my boyfriend go to Tibet for indefinitely time.
This site is for US Law only. Since you haven't list a US state I will assume you are not in the US, and advise you to seek an answer to your legal question elsewhere.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am pregnant with a baby but my boyfriend is now into religion and he is moving to Tibet in 3 months. Now, his parents are extremely rich, so by law, are they obliged to support the baby if my boyfriend cannot support the baby?

PS. His family is letting my boyfriend go to Tibet for indefinitely time, and it is likely that he and I will end the relationship.

The state is New York.
Is your boyfriend under the age of 18? If not then his parents were not the ones impregnating you so you have NO RIGHT to any support from them. You have NO claim on thier riches.

Artemis_ofthe_Hunt

The state is New York.
Am I the only one who sees this post as a fishing expedition?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Am I the only one who sees this post as a fishing expedition?
Truthfully if she wanted boyfriends' parents to support HER child then she should have had sex with the boyfriend's mom and dad and gotten pregnant from them. Then they would be responsible for support. Well the boyfriend's dad would because boyfriend's mom can't impregnate her.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
She stated in her first post.. very last line that it was New York State
Actually, she edited it in after being asked several times. You may want to note the time stamp before getting all finger-waggy at people.

OP - nope. You and your man were old enough to make a baby, the both of you are old enough to support him/her without going after his parents.

Anonymous28

Can the state force him to work?

The fact that my boyfriend does not want to work is his choice. Would the law make him work to support the baby? What if he really doesn't want it? Can the state force him to work?

At the end of the day, he and I are both responsible for the child. It is his choice not to work and go to tibet.

I am have 2 years left on my PhD, and I would need some kind of support untill i finish my studies. After that I am planning to raise the child on my own, but it would be pleasant if the child gets some kind of support from his side of the family as well.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Is your boyfriend under the age of 18? If not then his parents were not the ones impregnating you so you have NO RIGHT to any support from them. You have NO claim on thier riches.
Not to get all nit-picky on you - but even if he IS/WAS under 18, his parents still weren't the ones impregnating her! ;)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Why do you think the father of the child has ANY obligation to support YOU while you go to school? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's time to GET A JOB (or a second one) and, perhaps, put off your studies to care for the child that YOU brought in to this world.

Anonymous28

i am not asking for your opinion, I only want to know the LAW. Thank you very much.

I am not looking for any opinions or criticism. I only want to know the LAW, the fact, that is all. Thank you very much.. If you can answer in neutral position, I would very much appreciate it.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

No he cannot be forced to work. He can be imputed with an income. YOU are NOT entitled to ANY support. YOU need to work as well to raise the child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">