• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My brother will not accept money from me towards my son's expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bria5

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
California

My son is currently residing with my brother. I've mentioned to my brother that I would like to give him money towards my son's expenses, but my brother will not accept the money.

Why do you think he is so reluctant to accept money from me. After all, he is taking care of my son and it is obviously my responsibility to pay. By the way, I do not have a court ordered child support obligation.

VeronicaGia

Bria5 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
California

My son is currently residing with my brother. I've mentioned to my brother that I would like to give him money towards my son's expenses, but my brother will not accept the money.

Why do you think he is so reluctant to accept money from me. After all, he is taking care of my son and it is obviously my responsibility to pay. By the way, I do not have a court ordered child support obligation.
Is your brother the court ordered guardian and does the court ordered support eventually go to him? Keep paying via the courts one way or the other or you will end up in arrears.

Ambr

Let me get this straight......

No courts involved.
Your son is living with his uncle.
Uncle will not accept money for son.

Bria5

VeronicaGia said:
Is your brother the court ordered guardian and does the court ordered support eventually go to him? Keep paying via the courts one way or the other or you will end up in arrears.
Actually, my brother has permanent custody and I have not been ordered to pay child support by the court. Basically, I just want to give my brother money for taking care of my child, but it will not be through court. My brother and I are in good terms, but I am just wondering if maybe he feels that if I give him money for my child, that I then will put my child as a dependent when I file my taxes? I wouldn't do that of course. Is this possible? I am not saying this is what's happening, but I am concern as to his reason for not accepting money from me.

Bria5

BL

Bria5 said:
Actually, my brother has permanent custody and I have not been ordered to pay child support by the court. Basically, I just want to give my brother money for taking care of my child, but it will not be through court. My brother and I are in good terms, but I am just wondering if maybe he feels that if I give him money for my child, that I then will put my child as a dependent when I file my taxes? I wouldn't do that of course. Is this possible? I am not saying this is what's happening, but I am concern as to his reason for not accepting money from me.

Bria5
Why don't you ask him the question yourself If you are good terms with him ?

chatkat

Ditto

I would also suggest that if your brother doesn't want money from you and he is doing fine supporting your son then take the money you are trying to give him and open an account for your son. Put all the money there and if the money is needed later, for a car or college, you can help then.

Chat

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">