• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My dad getting a settlment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kristhatrinity

Florida
I'm a 21 years old and my father is recieving a settlement for a job injury and he will pay back pay on child support. He say that my mom will be getting the money but I have not lived with my mother since I was 15 and I never lived with my father. Could my father get his lawyers to make a way to pay me the money instead of my mother who has not taken care of me since I was 15.What is the name of your state?

Neal1421

kristhatrinity said:
Florida
I'm a 21 years old and my father is recieving a settlement for a job injury and he will pay back pay on child support. He say that my mom will be getting the money but I have not lived with my mother since I was 15 and I never lived with my father. Could my father get his lawyers to make a way to pay me the money instead of my mother who has not taken care of me since I was 15.What is the name of your state?
So, where have you lived since you were 15 if your mother hasn't taken care of yo and you never lived with your father?

kristhatrinity

my dad is getting a settlement

I've been living with friends until I was 18 I got my own apartment which I've had help from a friend to pay i'always lived in florida.

Just Blue

kristhatrinity said:
I've been living with friends until I was 18 I got my own apartment which I've had help from a friend to pay i'always lived in florida.
Than the "friend" that you lived with till you were 18 would get the money...

nextwife

baystategirl said:
Than the "friend" that you lived with till you were 18 would get the money...

Wrong. Dad is obligated to pay that money to whoever had an ORDER from the court to be paid CS. If it was the friend, then it would be them, but if it was mom, then, legally, that money must go to Mom before the CS arrearage will be considered paid by CSE. Dad will ccontinue to face legal sanctions until the CS arrearage is paid IN ACCORDANCE with the order.

Last edited:

Just Blue

nextwife said:
baystategirl said:
Than the "fr

Wrong. Dad is obligated to pay that money to woever had an ORDER$ from the court to be paid CS.l If it was the friend, then it woulod be them, but if it was mom, then, legally, that money must go to Mom before the CS arrearage will be considered paid by CSE.
Yes...your right...my bad...:eek:

kristhatrinity said:
What if my father wanted the money to go to me could his lawyer arrange that?
After your father pays of the arrearages that he owes your mother, then he can give you all the money he wants. :)

Just Blue

kristhatrinity said:
What if my father wanted the money to go to me could his lawyer arrange that?

If your father wants to give you a gift...thats wonderful...but it will not get rid of any child support arrears he has.

kristhatrinity said:
so he cannot change the arrear i figure as far as who the child support is payed to. yes no?
NO

She raised you, the child support was owed to her, not to you, to provide you with food, clothing, and shelter.

IF you left at 15, then he should have taken her to court to have child support to her stopped.

Your father is using you as a pawn in a game to try and hurt your mother. I feel sorry for you, it's unfair of him to wave this in front of you like that. I know you are young, but hopefully you will see past the $$ to what he is really trying to do.

So, as has been said many times already, NO your father cannot decide who he wants to give your mom's money too, it is her money.

Just Blue

kristhatrinity said:
thank you for your reply and time. that suck my mom not going to give me a dime.

Child support is just that, money to help with day to day need of the child...food, housing, cloths , medical expenses..ect...It is not spending money for the child...you have no rights to that money...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">