• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My dad needs child support help . . . jail . . .

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

raedar

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina/Michigan

I'm 23, my sister is 18, my other sister is 13. My parents were divorced fourteen years ago and my mom took us to Michigan (we were born in NC, so I have to assume that since my dad still lives there and my mom lives in Michigan, the jurisdiction would be in North Carolina).

My dad is a self-employed landscape artist and also plays in a band for a small sum of extra cash here and there. While I'm not sure how much he makes anually, I have to assume it isn't much. He's being taken to court on Wednesday of next week because my mom is putting some kind of order out for him. I don't know what kind of order, but if she "drops" it, he wouldn't need to go to court.

He's been making small payments here and there, as he tells me, however the amount he owes is largely arrears and he will be having his second contempt hearing next Wednesday. I'm worried that he's looking at jail time and I'd like some viewpoints as to what he ought to do.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

I'm 23, my sister is 18, my other sister is 13. My parents were divorced fourteen years ago and my mom took us to Michigan (we were born in NC, so I have to assume that since my dad still lives there and my mom lives in Michigan, the jurisdiction would be in North Carolina).

My dad is a self-employed landscape artist and also plays in a band for a small sum of extra cash here and there. While I'm not sure how much he makes anually, I have to assume it isn't much. He's being taken to court on Wednesday of next week because my mom is putting some kind of order out for him. I don't know what kind of order, but if she "drops" it, he wouldn't need to go to court.

He's been making small payments here and there, as he tells me, however the amount he owes is largely arrears and he will be having his second contempt hearing next Wednesday. I'm worried that he's looking at jail time and I'd like some viewpoints as to what he ought to do.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Your dad is a big boy. It really sucks that he involved his children in his grown up child support matters.

CSO286

What he ought to do it pay the child support.

Not only has he failed to pay support as ordered (eveidenced by the substantial arrears), he also is failing to pay the current (givien you still have a sibling who is a minor. He should be in hot water. Every child deserves the support of BOTH parents. When the NCP fails to pay as ordered, not only do the children suffer, but it is also a criminal and civil violation.

You father should not be discussing these matters with you and whatever he tells you is certainly colored by his own bias, as are the opinions of Mom as well.

Dad has the option of signing up here, bringing along with him a copy of his court order and and recent actions taken on his case and we can let him know how dire his situation is.

Antigone*

What he ought to do it pay the child support.

Not only has he failed to pay support as ordered (eveidenced by the substantial arrears), he also is failing to pay the current (givien you still have a sibling who is a minor. He should be in hot water. Every child deserves the support of BOTH parents. When the NCP fails to pay as ordered, not only do the children suffer, but it is also a criminal and civil violation.

You father should not be discussing these matters with you and whatever he tells you is certainly colored by his own bias, as are the opinions of Mom as well.

Dad has the option of signing up here, bringing along with him a copy of his court order and and recent actions taken on his case and we can let him know how dire his situation is.
I guess the siblings supported by mom only need to eat, be clothed, and supported here and there:rolleyes:

tuffbrk

In other words - one of your parents did without while trying to support you and your siblings because your dad did not take of his responsibilities.

Wanna help? You can always get a second job and use the money you are paid to send to the courts in your Dad's name to pay off his court ordered obligations. Other than that - stay out of your parent's business.

Proserpina

I'm not sure which appalls me most.

The fact that he's not supported his kids, or the fact that he's chosen to involve one of his kids in the whole issue.

FanTASTIC parenting. Truly.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'm not sure which appalls me most.

The fact that he's not supported his kids, or the fact that he's chosen to involve one of his kids in the whole issue.

FanTASTIC parenting. Truly.
What astounds me is that MOM is the bad guy here. She has apparently done her best to raise this/these brat(s) w/o Dad's help, and SHE is the bad guy? Wow.

OP? You should be ashamed of yourself. Really. Totally and completely ashamed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">