• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Ex-wife is not cashing her insurance checks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ex-hex

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I live in Illinois, divorce finalized in Missouri where she lives.

I pay for my son's insurance through my wife's insurance plan. My ex-wife keeps holding my monthly insurance check to her for an undue amount of time. She makes more money than me and doesn't seem to even need the money I send. She sometimes waits over a month until after the next payment comes to her and cashes two checks together. I've asked her to cash the checks in a timely manner as holding them messes with my checking balance, but she pays no attention.

She still hasn't cashed the check I sent her the first week of last month. I am thinking of telling her I'm not sending her a new check until she cashes the old one. Can I get in trouble for doing this? Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
An alternative (if you really can't deal with keeping a properly balanced account) would be to open a second checking account that you use ONLY for those checks to the ex. That way you won't ever be touching the money in that account even if she doesn't cash the checks promptly.

LdiJ

An alternative (if you really can't deal with keeping a properly balanced account) would be to open a second checking account that you use ONLY for those checks to the ex. That way you won't ever be touching the money in that account even if she doesn't cash the checks promptly.
Or even set up an electronic transfer of the funds, so that she doesn't have to go to the bank to cash a check.

It can be difficult to get to a bank to cash a check in a timely fashion if you are working. If she has direct deposit on everything else, and your check is the only reason she needs to go to a bank, then that could explain the delays.

Antigone*

Or even set up an electronic transfer of the funds, so that she doesn't have to go to the bank to cash a check.

It can be difficult to get to a bank to cash a check in a timely fashion if you are working. If she has direct deposit on everything else, and your check is the only reason she needs to go to a bank, then that could explain the delays.
Maybe the wife does not want him to send the cash that way. You can't force someone to take your direct deposit.

If he really wants the funds out of his account right away, he can send her a money order or cashiers' check.

LdiJ

Maybe the wife does not want him to send the cash that way. You can't force someone to take your direct deposit.

If he really wants the funds out of his account right away, he can send her a money order or cashiers' check.
If she doesn't want it that way, then she doesn't want it that way, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to discuss the matter with her. I doubt its something that the OP has previously addressed.

single317dad

United States currency is legal tender for all debts, public and private. Hand her cash and demand a receipt. Problem solved (with no consideration to new problems created).

If she doesn't want it that way, then she doesn't want it that way, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to discuss the matter with her. I doubt its something that the OP has previously addressed.
Another route is, if OP's bank will do an electronic payment- use that. My bank (one of the largest in the US) and most of the others large banks will allow you to trigger a payment form their banking website, even to individuals. Individuals (as well as any any business that is not set up to receive a direct payment from the bank) will receive a check in the mail. The money will be taken out of the OP's account t he day the check is cut. The bank will have a record of the payment being processed on a certain day (a paper trail for OP that he did indeed pay on time), and OP's ex will receive a bank check in the mail.

And OP saves on postage.

LdiJ

Another route is, if OP's bank will do an electronic payment- use that. My bank (one of the largest in the US) and most of the others large banks will allow you to trigger a payment form their banking website, even to individuals. Individuals (as well as any any business that is not set up to receive a direct payment from the bank) will receive a check in the mail. The money will be taken out of the OP's account t he day the check is cut. The bank will have a record of the payment being processed on a certain day (a paper trail for OP that he did indeed pay on time), and OP's ex will receive a bank check in the mail.

And OP saves on postage.
Not all banks take it from your account on the date that its issued. Some still handle it like a regular check, and the money doesn't come out until the check is cashed.

My bank is a hybrid. Checks to utilities, mortgage companies, credit card companies etc. all come out immediately. Any checks written to individuals or small businesses don't come out until the check is cashed. Its really quite annoying. I preferred it the old way (when all the money came out when the check was written) but it changed when my bank was bought out by another bank.

gam

For people who don't want to live in the times we are in and do old fashion banking, then they should do old fashion balancing of their checkbook.

You write a check and you immediately log the check in and subtract the amount. There is no way someone not cashing a check right away can mess up your checking balance. You wrote the check, you subtracted that check from the amount in your checking the day you wrote the check. When you go to do your monthly check with your bank statement, there will be lots of checks out there still not cashed. You match the checks to the ones you wrote, whatever checks are left over, you add up and subtract from the bank balance.

What do ya know the 2 numbers match, your all done and your checking balance is not messed up.

All this is, is you being lazy and not wanting to balance your account. It's also you pissed off because you don't think your ex needs you to pay for insurance, why would she need your money as she does not cash her checks right away, that shows you, that she has more then enough and you don't need to give her this insurance money. Does not work that way, your state has a child support guideline, you pay her your portion for your child, regardless if she is dead broke or a millionaire.

CSO286

Or spend, what, $0.89 at the post office and mail her a money order.

Really, OP, this is all on you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">