• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My ex's drivers license suspension

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? california
16 grand in back child support, no payments for 2 years. My ex said he has a drivers license and it has not been suspended. Could that be true? He told me he would rather be in jail then pay child support for his children. They are all over 18 now so this is just back child support that has added up. It was only $225 a month for all 3 kids, a year it was about 500 a month so all the years the back has added up to 16 grand.

Silverplum

16 grand in back child support, no payments for 2 years. My ex said he has a drivers license and it has not been suspended. Could that be true? He told me he would rather be in jail then pay child support for his children. They are all over 18 now so this is just back child support that has added up. It was only $225 a month for all 3 kids, a year it was about 500 a month so all the years the back has added up to 16 grand.
Yes, it could be true.

CSO286

It's quite possible.

nextwife

In what state is the case and in what state is he? Was his current state of residence ever involved in the CS enforcement case?

in california

Yes a cs case has been open for about 12 years, they can't serve him for contempt of the child support order because he keeps hiding and they can't get a valid postal address. They told me that every 30 day if there is non payment they send the dmv ground for drivers license. I have no idea when jail is an option because they can't find him anyways. He is at my home picking one of the kids twice a month, but law enforcement wants nothing to do with it. Child support services said I can arrange them to come to my home to serve him but I never know when he is going to come visit my son. Don't think they will sit in front of my home for 24 hrs. waiting for him to serve him.

oh and aparently drivers license suspension is none of my business, well that is what CS customers service says when I call and ask about it. Privacy issue I guess.

Radia

Yes it can happen.

In my case he still has the ability to get his DL, though he hasn't because of warrants.

Somehow they skipped that step in my case, they will not go back and do it because that is an "administrative enforcement option and the case has moved beyond that".

It could have been a mistake or an oversight...

Also, don't always believe what the EX has told you. It isn't out of the realm of possibility that he is lying through his teeth.

Radia

oh and aparently drivers license suspension is none of my business, well that is what CS customers service says when I call and ask about it. Privacy issue I guess.

Yeah you're gonna get that kind of attitude. The state represents themselves in this matter and you are relegated to nothing but a states witness. Under the freedom of information act you can request your file, though much of his private information will be redacted. It may show the forms were sent to suspend the DL though even if info is blacked out.

Be warned I paid over 300$ for my file. That was TX though, dont know what CA will/wont charge.

CSO286

Yeah you're gonna get that kind of attitude. The state represents themselves in this matter and you are relegated to nothing but a states witness. Under the freedom of information act you can request your file, though much of his private information will be redacted. It may show the forms were sent to suspend the DL though even if info is blacked out.

Be warned I paid over 300$ for my file. That was TX though, dont know what CA will/wont charge.
You do realize that the child support agency represent NEITHER party, don't you?

And that while they cannot tell a CP about all of the enforcement remedies that are active on a case, they can let that person know what the thresholds are for selection.

As for privacy issues--that works both ways. CSED isn't permitted to give out certain data to either party, no matter who requests it.

And to the attitude you think exudes from CSED? With all due respect, where else are you going to find this amount of work, collection and enforcement efforts at a cost of $25 and 1-2% per year?

The CSED workers don't make tons of money, they don't get paid on commission and many of them have caseloads well into the hundreds and are working very hard for the children and familes in their state.

And finally--the information in a child support case belongs to the agency handling the case, not the people the information is about. CSED has to protect the confidential and private datain accordance with state and federal laws. And, frankly, I don't know of a single agency that doesn't charge for file access. It takes a lot of time to copy and redact and review to ensure that infomation is handed out in accordance with the law.

And I totally undertand the frustration. Not only do I work in child support, I'm also a custodial parent with an open case an whose NCP pays sporadically.

do you mean I can request to get my ex's file to see if his license is suspended? OH, and yes he is probably a liar. My son actually told me he saw his dads drivers license, a new one but I think it my just be a california state id. My son has one, he is disabled and can't drive and he really can't read and does not know better (he is like Forrest Gump) My son is a jewel and I would never talk bad about his dad to him but one day he just told me "mom dad has a new drivers license" it just happen to be the same week my son got his ID, so that all it may be an ID not a vaild drivers license. Also, I wonder how he insures his car and gets a valid car registration if his drivers license is suspended. HMMM

Radia

You do realize that the child support agency represent NEITHER party, don't you?

And that while they cannot tell a CP about all of the enforcement remedies that are active on a case, they can let that person know what the thresholds are for selection.

As for privacy issues--that works both ways. CSED isn't permitted to give out certain data to either party, no matter who requests it.

And to the attitude you think exudes from CSED? With all due respect, where else are you going to find this amount of work, collection and enforcement efforts at a cost of $25 and 1-2% per year?

The CSED workers don't make tons of money, they don't get paid on commission and many of them have caseloads well into the hundreds and are working very hard for the children and familes in their state.

And finally--the information in a child support case belongs to the agency handling the case, not the people the information is about. CSED has to protect the confidential and private datain accordance with state and federal laws. And, frankly, I don't know of a single agency that doesn't charge for file access. It takes a lot of time to copy and redact and review to ensure that infomation is handed out in accordance with the law.

And I totally undertand the frustration. Not only do I work in child support, I'm also a custodial parent with an open case an whose NCP pays sporadically.
Um i wasnt bitching about anything, I was simply stating the fact that the state represents itself... which is, I believe the same thing you said... I also didnt complain about the money I spent to get copies, I was just giving the OP fair warning that you cant just stomp in there and demand that for free. Wouldnt you rather be warned that there will be a cost instead of them coming back here and complaining?

I think you took my post all wrong, I was simply trying to give the OP facts, I was not bashing the CEA.

I have worked with mine for years, and while slow, and with some issues, and I do get frustrated, but things get done. I understand they are swamped and with cases out their ears.

Im sorry you took my post that way.

CSO286

do you mean I can request to get my ex's file to see if his license is suspended? OH, and yes he is probably a liar. My son actually told me he saw his dads drivers license, a new one but I think it my just be a california state id. My son has one, he is disabled and can't drive and he really can't read and does not know better (he is like Forrest Gump) My son is a jewel and I would never talk bad about his dad to him but one day he just told me "mom dad has a new drivers license" it just happen to be the same week my son got his ID, so that all it may be an ID not a vaild drivers license. Also, I wonder how he insures his car and gets a valid car registration if his drivers license is suspended. HMMM
If state law indicates that CSED cannot release that information to you, and you request a copy of your file, you will that information has been removed from the file.

And to address your last comment, you can have insurance and registration on a vehicle you own, with or without a valid driver's license. My gram maintained a vehicle for the kids and grandkids to drive her around in. She never learned how to drive, but still had the car after Grandpa passed away.

CourtClerk

Hey CSO... CA doesn't charge anything as of yet. They're only thinking of charging starting next year and that's still just thinking about it...

She's receiving CSSD's services for FREE.

Ok, but I assume if he is driving with a suspended license and gets pulled over or in a accident/fender bender then the insurance wont take the claim. It makes sense that you ca insure a car but I would assume that accident coverage would only apply to a licensed driver.

CSO286

Hey CSO... CA doesn't charge anything as of yet. They're only thinking of charging starting next year and that's still just thinking about it...

She's receiving CSSD's services for FREE.
Is CA paying the federal annual fee for the clients, then?

I know some states still are and some have just recently started making he clients pay it. MN participants have been paying it for years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">