• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my mother guilty of fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DigitalGimpling

I reside in Georgia.

I have been older than 18 for about 31 months. My mother told me that she continues to collect the same amount of child support, regardless of my age and the fact I moved out when I was 17 and have required no financial support ever since. She also told me that she would give me my fractional 3rd of the total amount, which never happened.

For various reasons mutually benefitting us both, my car is still covered on her insurance. She called me, saying that I owe her some new, obscure amount of money. Evidently, my existance now costs her another $800 dollars a year in addition to my $400 a year portion, because her husband bought a new truck, and the insurance company assumes that everyone of drivable age supposedly in the household may use this goliath of a truck.

I countered that I don't owe her a damn thing. I didn't tell them to get a new truck while the roof on their home rots away. After all, she is unfairly collecting $2200 a year in child support ON ME that I don't benefit from.

After this spat, I suspected she would cancel my insurance; and I was proven right when I asked a police officer friend of mine to run my insurance.

I am irked. I talked to my father about the situation, and he told me that is afraid to challenge her continuing collection on me, because he makes more money now than he did when the arrangements were orginally made, in addition to having adopted a sickly child of his own to worry about.

Are either of us intitled to this money she has, possibly fraudulently, collected upon me? Not to mention I think she still claims me as dependant on her tax returns.

She has tried to burn me. What are my avenues to burn her back?

WhiteMidnight

I don't know an answer to the question about child support, but if you want to get back at her...

Are you filing taxes on your own? If so, find out if she is deffinately claiming you on her taxes. If she is, report her to the IRS and she may get audited.

BelizeBreeze

DigitalGimpling said:
I reside in Georgia.

I have been older than 18 for about 31 months. My mother told me that she continues to collect the same amount of child support, regardless of my age and the fact I moved out when I was 17 and have required no financial support ever since. She also told me that she would give me my fractional 3rd of the total amount, which never happened.

For various reasons mutually benefitting us both, my car is still covered on her insurance. She called me, saying that I owe her some new, obscure amount of money. Evidently, my existance now costs her another $800 dollars a year in addition to my $400 a year portion, because her husband bought a new truck, and the insurance company assumes that everyone of drivable age supposedly in the household may use this goliath of a truck.

I countered that I don't owe her a damn thing. I didn't tell them to get a new truck while the roof on their home rots away. After all, she is unfairly collecting $2200 a year in child support ON ME that I don't benefit from.

After this spat, I suspected she would cancel my insurance; and I was proven right when I asked a police officer friend of mine to run my insurance.

I am irked. I talked to my father about the situation, and he told me that is afraid to challenge her continuing collection on me, because he makes more money now than he did when the arrangements were orginally made, in addition to having adopted a sickly child of his own to worry about.

Are either of us intitled to this money she has, possibly fraudulently, collected upon me? Not to mention I think she still claims me as dependant on her tax returns.

She has tried to burn me. What are my avenues to burn her back?
First of all, YOU are entitled to nothing. Child support is dictated by court order and an award by the court to the custodial parent, NOT to the child.

Secondly, the court order prevails. Therefore, if the court order mandates support beyond the age of 18 then that's what it means. There are many circumstances where support is granted beyond that age.

Since you are not a party to the support order, it's none of your business. So, if your father wants to read the support order and see if he has a case to suspend or stop support, that is his business. If not, then that's also his business.

DigitalGimpling

BelizeBreeze said:
First of all, YOU are entitled to nothing. Child support is dictated by court order and an award by the court to the custodial parent, NOT to the child.

Secondly, the court order prevails. Therefore, if the court order mandates support beyond the age of 18 then that's what it means. There are many circumstances where support is granted beyond that age.

Since you are not a party to the support order, it's none of your business. So, if your father wants to read the support order and see if he has a case to suspend or stop support, that is his business. If not, then that's also his business.
That's what I thought, but often enough there are loopholes. Can her statement be termed as a verbal agreement? Can I do anything about my insurance being canceled, even though I did pay the full amount for a 6 month period only to be cut off not even half-way through it?

It is my business, because my parents have both felt I should be privy to the information. Before my mother's brain shrunk ANOTHER 5% from her last pregnancy, she told me she would give me my part. There is no reason why she should be receiving it anyway. I'm not in school, I'm not a dependant, and what school I did attend I did with no cost to anyone but the state via HOPE and pell grants.

It's not that I need my father's money, or even want a handout from my shrew of a mother.
My modavation is retribution. Cold, hard, final retribution and righteous maliciousness, not greed. Contrary to what she tried to tell me, my insurance rates are exactly the same on my own policy as opposed to a family policy. She lied in telling me that my rates would sky rocket if i got my own insurance; when now it seems that she simply wanted something to continue to attempt to hold over my head.
I'm not her doormat and she's always hated it.

Whyte Noise

Child support in GA isn't ordered past the child's 20th birthday even if they are still in school. If you're 31 months past your 18th birthday, then you're well over 20, and almost 21.

Your father needs to file for termination of CS on you based on the fact that you're emancipated. Doesn't matter what his income is now, as CS for you is DONE.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Dad needs to file for CS to end. If he's too much of a wuss to do so, it's his problem. You need to become self-sufficient. You yourself said that it was beneficial for you to stay on Mommy's insurance. So you benefited from her. Grow up and stand on your own two feet.

MtnMoon

If arrears are owed, then that might be why child support payments are still being made; however, if that's not the case...the father may file for termination. But that's his ball of wax.

It's disturbing to hear such ill-feelings concerning your family. This situation with your mother obviously bothers you a great deal. Have you considered talking with a counselor? Your well-being is important. Of course, you can't control other people... Your mother will do whatever she does... Your father will do whatever he does... What you can control is whatever you do. It may sound enticing to "burn" your mother...however...what do you really accomplish with that? What does that mean for you as a person...as a human being? It seems a little more complicated than just getting back at your mother. Doesn't it?

My wish for you is that you'll find some peace...because it seems that your soul has been somewhat scattered in the wind lately...and that is so not a good feeling...

DigitalGimpling

stealth2 said:
Dad needs to file for CS to end. If he's too much of a wuss to do so, it's his problem. You need to become self-sufficient. You yourself said that it was beneficial for you to stay on Mommy's insurance. So you benefited from her. Grow up and stand on your own two feet.
I have been on my own two feet since a week after I graduated highschool. Before that I was the one essentially raising a younger brother and sister while my mother brought men home to MY bed. I lived in my car for almost 6 months, spending every cent I had on school books and gasoline. You don't know me, so go take your "When I was your age I walked 10 miles through the snow to get to school" to a more sympathetic ear.

DigitalGimpling

MtnMoon said:
If arrears are owed, then that might be why child support payments are still being made; however, if that's not the case...the father may file for termination. But that's his ball of wax.

It's disturbing to hear such ill-feelings concerning your family. This situation with your mother obviously bothers you a great deal. Have you considered talking with a counselor? Your well-being is important. Of course, you can't control other people... Your mother will do whatever she does... Your father will do whatever he does... What you can control is whatever you do. It may sound enticing to "burn" your mother...however...what do you really accomplish with that? What does that mean for you as a person...as a human being? It seems a little more complicated than just getting back at your mother. Doesn't it?

My wish for you is that you'll find some peace...because it seems that your soul has been somewhat scattered in the wind lately...and that is so not a good feeling...
I am distinctly suspicious of counselors. Did you know, that among professions, psycologists/psychiatrists/counselors have the second highest suicide rate (the first being dentists, of all things?) I don't trust these evidently inherently suicidal people to tell me what to do with MY emotional pain.

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion."
I have no peace, but I have purpose.

Shay-Pari'e

DigitalGimpling said:
I am distinctly suspicious of counselors. Did you know, that among professions, psycologists/psychiatrists/counselors have the second highest suicide rate (the first being dentists, of all things?) I don't trust these evidently inherently suicidal people to tell me what to do with MY emotional pain.

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion."
I have no peace, but I have purpose.
If you feel this way, then why try and stick it to Mommy? Get over it, forget it and move on.

I however do feel you need to see a psycologist. Your posts are not normal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">