• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my new husbands wages at risk for my CS debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chromespot

California- I am a stay at home(unemployed) mother of 2 from my present marriage.I just found out I owe child support for my oldest son.His paternal grandmother took custody of him when I was a teen and got on welfare to support him..I expected to hear something sooner or later but now I am concerned that they will take my husbands pay check/ income tax any finances that they can get their hands on.Does anyone know if they can do that:confused

Just Blue

California- I am a stay at home(unemployed) mother of 2 from my present marriage.I just found out I owe child support for my oldest son.His paternal grandmother took custody of him when I was a teen and got on welfare to support him..I expected to hear something sooner or later but now I am concerned that they will take my husbands pay check/ income tax any finances that they can get their hands on.Does anyone know if they can do that:confused
Get a job and pay for your FIRST parental obligation.

TinkerBelleLuvr

They have a right to take any joint assets that have YOUR name on them.

Why have you never set up a child support order to support your child?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
thank you but that's not what I asked...that answer is obvious brainiac
Well moron, apparently it is not obvious or you would have been supporting your first child before popping out others. Apparently, you need to realize that any joint accounts can be attached, any joint property can have a lien attached, joint tax refunds can be seized.

Time for you to get a job and not be a deadbeat. Okay, moron?

ETA: Oh and if you hadn't insulted people with your sarcastic "brainiac", I would not have returned the favor by calling you a moron. Got it? You really need to get a job.

Last edited:

CSO286

They can seize, levy or otherwise go after any asset that has your name on it.

LdiJ

No, they cannot garnish your husband's paycheck. They also cannot take your husband's share of the tax refund if he fills out an injured spouse form with your joint tax return. As you have no income, that means that he should get almost all, if not all of the refund. An injured spouse form can also be filed after the fact, as well.

However, as you have already been told, joint bank accounts can be levied, liens can be placed against joint assets etc. Therefore your husband should protect himself by having his paycheck deposited to an account in his name only and you should avoid owning assets jointly.

nextwife

However, as you have already been told, joint bank accounts can be levied, liens can be placed against joint assets etc. Therefore your husband should protect himself by having his paycheck deposited to an account in his name only and you should avoid owning assets jointly.
And she should stop being voluntarilly unemployed and shirking her financial responsibility by supporting her firstborn.

CJane

And she should stop being voluntarilly unemployed and shirking her financial responsibility by supporting her firstborn.
In my industry, I know plenty of people who have been INVOLUNTARILY downsized, and who, despite their education and obvious value-addedness, cannot find a job to adequately support their previous financial obligations.

Just saying.

nextwife

In my industry, I know plenty of people who have been INVOLUNTARILY downsized, and who, despite their education and obvious value-addedness, cannot find a job to adequately support their previous financial obligations.

Just saying.

I'm not hearing Mom saying she's lost her job, or has been looking, or even EVER paid child support, and that she can't NOW due to temporary unemployment. Sounds like she's chosen a SAH lifestyle, and never has been paying child support.

CJane

I'm not hearing Mom saying she's lost her job, or has been looking, or even EVER paid child support, and that she can't NOW due to temporary unemployment. Sounds like she's chosen a SAH lifestyle, and never has been paying child support.
I realize that's what it sounds like TO YOU. Really.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">