+ Reply to Thread
    chromespot is offline Junior Member

Is my new husbands wages at risk for my CS debt

California- I am a stay at home(unemployed) mother of 2 from my present marriage.I just found out I owe child support for my oldest son.His paternal grandmother took custody of him when I was a teen and got on welfare to support him..I expected to hear something sooner or later but now I am concerned that they will take my husbands pay check/ income tax any finances that they can get their hands on.Does anyone know if they can do that:confused
    Blue Meanie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chromespot View Post
    California- I am a stay at home(unemployed) mother of 2 from my present marriage.I just found out I owe child support for my oldest son.His paternal grandmother took custody of him when I was a teen and got on welfare to support him..I expected to hear something sooner or later but now I am concerned that they will take my husbands pay check/ income tax any finances that they can get their hands on.Does anyone know if they can do that:confused
    Get a job and pay for your FIRST parental obligation.
    chromespot is offline Junior Member
    thank you but that's not what I asked...that answer is obvious brainiac
    TinkerBelleLuvr is offline Senior Member
    They have a right to take any joint assets that have YOUR name on them.

Why have you never set up a child support order to support your child?
    Blue Meanie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TinkerBelleLuvr View Post
    They have a right to take any joint assets that have YOUR name on them.

Why have you never set up a child support order to support your child?
    Perhaps she was too busy making more children she does not support?
    nextwife is offline Senior Member
    You can eventually go to jail if you fail to pay court ordered child support.
    Ohiogal is offline Senior Member
    thank you but that's not what I asked...that answer is obvious brainiac
    Well moron, apparently it is not obvious or you would have been supporting your first child before popping out others. Apparently, you need to realize that any joint accounts can be attached, any joint property can have a lien attached, joint tax refunds can be seized.

Time for you to get a job and not be a deadbeat. Okay, moron?

ETA: Oh and if you hadn't insulted people with your sarcastic "brainiac", I would not have returned the favor by calling you a moron. Got it? You really need to get a job.
    Last edited by Ohiogal; 03-23-2012 at 04:19 AM.
    Parents should remember 3 things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex; when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death; your children determine what type of nursing home you end up in.
    Nothing stated by me should be taken as giving you legal advice or forming an attorney/client relationship.

Attorney-GAL in Ohio.

I've removed the knife from my back, polished it, and will one day return it -- long after you think I have forgotten.
    CSO286 is offline Senior Member
    They can seize, levy or otherwise go after any asset that has your name on it.
    LdiJ is online now Senior Member
    No, they cannot garnish your husband's paycheck. They also cannot take your husband's share of the tax refund if he fills out an injured spouse form with your joint tax return. As you have no income, that means that he should get almost all, if not all of the refund. An injured spouse form can also be filed after the fact, as well.

However, as you have already been told, joint bank accounts can be levied, liens can be placed against joint assets etc. Therefore your husband should protect himself by having his paycheck deposited to an account in his name only and you should avoid owning assets jointly.
    Quote Originally Posted by LdiJ View Post
    However, as you have already been told, joint bank accounts can be levied, liens can be placed against joint assets etc. Therefore your husband should protect himself by having his paycheck deposited to an account in his name only and you should avoid owning assets jointly.
    And she should stop being voluntarilly unemployed and shirking her financial responsibility by supporting her firstborn.
    CJane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nextwife View Post
    And she should stop being voluntarilly unemployed and shirking her financial responsibility by supporting her firstborn.
    In my industry, I know plenty of people who have been INVOLUNTARILY downsized, and who, despite their education and obvious value-addedness, cannot find a job to adequately support their previous financial obligations.

Just saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by CJane View Post
    In my industry, I know plenty of people who have been INVOLUNTARILY downsized, and who, despite their education and obvious value-addedness, cannot find a job to adequately support their previous financial obligations.

Just saying.

I'm not hearing Mom saying she's lost her job, or has been looking, or even EVER paid child support, and that she can't NOW due to temporary unemployment. Sounds like she's chosen a SAH lifestyle, and never has been paying child support.
    CJane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nextwife View Post
    I'm not hearing Mom saying she's lost her job, or has been looking, or even EVER paid child support, and that she can't NOW due to temporary unemployment. Sounds like she's chosen a SAH lifestyle, and never has been paying child support.
    I realize that's what it sounds like TO YOU. Really.