+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    chromespot is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2

    Is my new husbands wages at risk for my CS debt

    California- I am a stay at home(unemployed) mother of 2 from my present marriage.I just found out I owe child support for my oldest son.His paternal grandmother took custody of him when I was a teen and got on welfare to support him..I expected to hear something sooner or later but now I am concerned that they will take my husbands pay check/ income tax any finances that they can get their hands on.Does anyone know if they can do that:confused
  2. #2
    Blue Meanie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    23,746
    Quote Originally Posted by chromespot View Post
    California- I am a stay at home(unemployed) mother of 2 from my present marriage.I just found out I owe child support for my oldest son.His paternal grandmother took custody of him when I was a teen and got on welfare to support him..I expected to hear something sooner or later but now I am concerned that they will take my husbands pay check/ income tax any finances that they can get their hands on.Does anyone know if they can do that:confused
    Get a job and pay for your FIRST parental obligation.
  3. #3
    chromespot is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2
    thank you but that's not what I asked...that answer is obvious brainiac
  4. #4
    TinkerBelleLuvr is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    With Capt'n Hook
    Posts
    11,320
    They have a right to take any joint assets that have YOUR name on them.

    Why have you never set up a child support order to support your child?
  5. #5
    Blue Meanie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    23,746
    Quote Originally Posted by TinkerBelleLuvr View Post
    They have a right to take any joint assets that have YOUR name on them.

    Why have you never set up a child support order to support your child?
    Perhaps she was too busy making more children she does not support?
  6. #6
    nextwife is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    24,363
    You can eventually go to jail if you fail to pay court ordered child support.
  7. #7
    Ohiogal is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    52,327
    Quote Originally Posted by chromespot View Post
    thank you but that's not what I asked...that answer is obvious brainiac
    Well moron, apparently it is not obvious or you would have been supporting your first child before popping out others. Apparently, you need to realize that any joint accounts can be attached, any joint property can have a lien attached, joint tax refunds can be seized.

    Time for you to get a job and not be a deadbeat. Okay, moron?

    ETA: Oh and if you hadn't insulted people with your sarcastic "brainiac", I would not have returned the favor by calling you a moron. Got it? You really need to get a job.
    Last edited by Ohiogal; 03-23-2012 at 04:19 AM.
    Parents should remember 3 things: Love your kids more than you hate your ex; when you have children the relationship with the other parent is until death; your children determine what type of nursing home you end up in.
    Nothing stated by me should be taken as giving you legal advice or forming an attorney/client relationship.

    Attorney-GAL in Ohio.

    I've removed the knife from my back, polished it, and will one day return it -- long after you think I have forgotten.
  8. #8
    CSO286 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Once upon a time, far, far, away...
    Posts
    5,335
    Quote Originally Posted by chromespot View Post
    California- I am a stay at home(unemployed) mother of 2 from my present marriage.I just found out I owe child support for my oldest son.His paternal grandmother took custody of him when I was a teen and got on welfare to support him..I expected to hear something sooner or later but now I am concerned that they will take my husbands pay check/ income tax any finances that they can get their hands on.Does anyone know if they can do that:confused
    They can seize, levy or otherwise go after any asset that has your name on it.
  9. #9
    LdiJ is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    65,185
    Quote Originally Posted by chromespot View Post
    California- I am a stay at home(unemployed) mother of 2 from my present marriage.I just found out I owe child support for my oldest son.His paternal grandmother took custody of him when I was a teen and got on welfare to support him..I expected to hear something sooner or later but now I am concerned that they will take my husbands pay check/ income tax any finances that they can get their hands on.Does anyone know if they can do that:confused
    No, they cannot garnish your husband's paycheck. They also cannot take your husband's share of the tax refund if he fills out an injured spouse form with your joint tax return. As you have no income, that means that he should get almost all, if not all of the refund. An injured spouse form can also be filed after the fact, as well.

    However, as you have already been told, joint bank accounts can be levied, liens can be placed against joint assets etc. Therefore your husband should protect himself by having his paycheck deposited to an account in his name only and you should avoid owning assets jointly.
  10. #10
    nextwife is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    24,363
    Quote Originally Posted by LdiJ View Post
    However, as you have already been told, joint bank accounts can be levied, liens can be placed against joint assets etc. Therefore your husband should protect himself by having his paycheck deposited to an account in his name only and you should avoid owning assets jointly.
    And she should stop being voluntarilly unemployed and shirking her financial responsibility by supporting her firstborn.
  11. #11
    CJane is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    19,810
    Quote Originally Posted by nextwife View Post
    And she should stop being voluntarilly unemployed and shirking her financial responsibility by supporting her firstborn.
    In my industry, I know plenty of people who have been INVOLUNTARILY downsized, and who, despite their education and obvious value-addedness, cannot find a job to adequately support their previous financial obligations.

    Just saying.
  12. #12
    nextwife is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    24,363
    Quote Originally Posted by CJane View Post
    In my industry, I know plenty of people who have been INVOLUNTARILY downsized, and who, despite their education and obvious value-addedness, cannot find a job to adequately support their previous financial obligations.

    Just saying.

    I'm not hearing Mom saying she's lost her job, or has been looking, or even EVER paid child support, and that she can't NOW due to temporary unemployment. Sounds like she's chosen a SAH lifestyle, and never has been paying child support.
  13. #13
    CJane is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    19,810
    Quote Originally Posted by nextwife View Post
    I'm not hearing Mom saying she's lost her job, or has been looking, or even EVER paid child support, and that she can't NOW due to temporary unemployment. Sounds like she's chosen a SAH lifestyle, and never has been paying child support.
    I realize that's what it sounds like TO YOU. Really.

Similar Threads

  1. Debt Management & Credit Score Risk
    By biznizman in forum Banking & Credit Cards
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-24-2010, 06:09 PM
  2. My husbands wages are being garnished
    By kelrs in forum Small Claims Courts
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-21-2005, 02:04 PM
  3. Ex husbands wages
    By jtzz004 in forum Child Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-09-2005, 08:44 AM
  4. future spouse has IRS debt-am I at risk?
    By ninapinta in forum Tax Law
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-31-2004, 11:41 AM
  5. are wife's assets at risk for husband's debt?
    By chaps131 in forum Banking & Credit Cards
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-13-2003, 03:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© 1995-2012 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.