• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My son turned 18. Will anything change?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OldManWilson

My case is out of California but I live in Utah. My court-ordered support is $825 each month plus an amount to the arrears, usually $25.

The case is for my two boys, 18 and 16. My oldest just turned 18 and is starting college soon.

I know the court-ordered amount of support is based on number of children, percentage of custody and both parents' incomes. Now that my oldest is 18, will his portion of the monthly support stop accruing? Or will I keep getting dinged for $825 each month until I file an appeal and go to California and have the amount change via a new court order?

Thanks.

Last edited:

CJane

You owe the total amount of child support until the order is changed.

This is from the website of the California courts... http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-support.htm

If you are the parent paying child support, you will still owe the full amount of support in your current court order until you get the order changed - even if your situation has changed. So, for example, if you lose your job today but you do not change your child support order until 3 months from now, you will still owe child support from today until 3 months from now, even though you were not working. Also, if you owe that amount but are unable to pay it, you will owe interest (at the rate of 10 percent per year) on any unpaid balance.

LdiJ

My case is out of California but I live in Utah. My court-ordered support is $825 each month plus an amount to the arrears, usually $25.

The case is for my two boys, 18 and 16. My oldest just turned 18 and is starting college soon.

I know the court-ordered amount of support is based on number of children, percentage of custody and both parents' incomes. Now that my oldest is 18, will his portion of the monthly support stop accruing? Or will I keep getting dinged for $825 each month until I file an appeal and go to California and have the amount change via a new court order?

Thanks.
Also, in CA its really not age 18 that matters. Its age 19 or graduation from high school, whichever comes first. So if your child is in his senior year, child support is still in force for him.

FlyingRon

Further, even if you are no longer responsible for paying support, you still have to make up your arrears.

torimac

Thanks.
Dinged?! Really? This is not some random fad, it is paying for the necessities and niceties that your children need in life. Such as food, shelter, etc. It is a sad thing when children are seen as an obligation rather than a blessing.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Also, in CA its really not age 18 that matters. Its age 19 or graduation from high school, whichever comes first. So if your child is in his senior year, child support is still in force for him.
It may be semantics, but this isn't really correct. It is 18 UNLESS the child is still in high school, then it is up to age 19 or HS graduation. From the way you posted it, a 17 year old that graduates from HS would no longer be subject to the CS order, and that is not correct.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
And realize that, even when you do get it modified, it will not be cut in half. Not how it works.

How much on arrears are you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">