• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My son is turning 18...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justwondering05

What is the name of your state? iowa

My son is turning 18 in December 08 and I am wondering what I have to do to end my Child support at that time. I have been told that I need to send my ex a Satisfaction of Judgement. Where do I need to find this and how do I file.
My divorce decree has never been modified and I have been divorced since 1999. It states that I am finished paying child support when my son turns 18. I am wondering if it will actually end in December or if I will be expected to pay until he is out of highschool which will be in May of '09?
Thank you!

Just Blue

In GENERAL that state statutes continue CS until the child is done with HS...What is the EXACT wording of your order?

justwondering05

It says:

"That the Respondent shall pay child support in the sum of $____ per month commencing on the first day of the month following the entry of this Decree herein, and payable on the first day of each month thereafter until said minor child attains the age of eighteen (18) years, is married, dies or is otherwise emancipated."

That is all it says about Child support. And we have never had anything changed since it was court ordered.

justwondering05

This is all the divorce decree says about my son turning 18 and ending child support. I am also wondering if the CSRU can go over a judges court order? They seem to think that they can.

Silverplum

This is all the divorce decree says about my son turning 18 and ending child support. I am also wondering if the CSRU can go over a judges court order? They seem to think that they can.
Can you be more specific?

My guess is that you mean that CSRU didn't stop the CS collection when you called/wrote and told them to. The answer would then be: it's because only a court order changes or overrides a previous court order. You need to FILE to end CS (in most states -- check on yours.)

justwondering05

I'm sorry! I meant to say that my son turns 18 in Dec. '08 and when I talked to CSRU a couple weeks ago they told me that I would be expected to pay CS for an additional 6 months until my son graduates highschool. I am just wondering if my divorce decree (as it is stated in earlier post) could be override by the CSRU. Our court order has never been changed or modified since it was ordered in 1999.
Thanks!

tuffbrk

Your kid is still going to be in school - how do you expect them to support themselves?! Get a full time job?

The verbiage you quoted is pretty loose, but emancipation is referenced. I'd expect a bit of an argument - after all, what has changed to enable the child to be sole support for themself if they are still in school?

BTW - you're a schmuck to even be asking this question. Even social security- a government agency- will provide benefits until you've graduated....

fairisfair

From what I have read, the stand of the court on Iowa Statute with regard to child support is that the state statutes are presumed to be correct unless specifically deviated upon with reason by the court.

I would assume that since Iowa statutes call for child support to continue until graduation, and your decree does not specify that it shall not, nor does it give reason, state statute will prevail.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">