• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Support Obligation Ends when My Child "Graduates" from High School

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the end of the day, you're talking about a week or two difference, at most. Is that REALLY worth the argument?
Yes why should the gold-digger mother get one more cent than she's entitled to? Let him cut her out of the picture and provide assistance directly to his ADULT SON if he so chooses. Time for Mom to fend for herself.

Silverplum

Yes why should the gold-digger mother get one more cent than she's entitled to? Let him cut her out of the picture and provide assistance directly to his ADULT SON if he so chooses. Time for Mom to fend for herself.
Your prejudice/s are showing.

The only one with a right to do so, the OP, has not indicated or even implied that Mom is a "gold-digger."

The "ADULT SON" is an "adult" when he graduates, per OP's court order.

If you wish to contribute to the LEGAL discussions here, do so properly. What you've done is flail about the forums, tossing in your non-legal and most unimpressive "thoughts" - which is not giving anyone "legal help." It's yapping.

I just went through the same thing..

My daughter didnt graduate from HS and here in CA it then will end when the child turns 19.. she turned 19 and so the CS payments stopped... had to keep bugging the case worker though..

At the end of the day, you're talking about a week or two difference, at most. Is that REALLY worth the argument?
Depending on what he pays, 2 weeks of child support can be in the thousands. I know I certainly do not want to pay a moment longer than I have to.

CdwJava

Wow ... as the father of a few children, one of which is 18 and just graduated, I WISH I could simply turn off the ATM on that graduation day. Nope. I get to keep paying for things like a car, insurance, college, expenses, etc. It concerns me that ceasing support for one's child should be such an overriding concern.

You make a decision to have a child, you support that child come what may for as long as it might be necessary and prudent.

Maybe I can divorce my wife and save a few dollars, too?

Wow ... as the father of a few children, one of which is 18 and just graduated, I WISH I could simply turn off the ATM on that graduation day. Nope. I get to keep paying for things like a car, insurance, college, expenses, etc. It concerns me that ceasing support for one's child should be such an overriding concern.

You make a decision to have a child, you support that child come what may for as long as it might be necessary and prudent.
That's all well, good an honorable of you Cdw, but I'm sure you're now giving money DIRECTLY to your adult children and not giving a penny to the X that spawned them out of herself. The whole point is if you want to help your CHILDREN fine, but cut Mommy off on the first possible date. Women even have a term for babies that support them so they don't have to work, or work, but have a better lifestyle due to the child support: "anchor babies."

Doubt it, look what happened last time. But you know why divorce is so expensive? Because it's worth it.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Women even have a term for babies that support them so they don't have to work, or work, but have a better lifestyle due to the child support: "anchor babies."

Oh, BigMouthWhiner... that is NOT what an "anchor baby" is. :rolleyes: That term refers to children illegal immigrants bear in the US (which makes the child a US citizen) to provide an "anchor" to this country and hinders deportation of the parent.

Congrats to your kiddo (son, right?) and to you and Mrs. CDW! My youngest also just graduated. Exciting times, eh? I don't see my expenses going down any time soon, either. If anything? I see them going up. <shrug> Well worth it, IMO.

Oh, BigMouthWhiner... that is NOT what an "anchor baby" is. :rolleyes: That term refers to children illegal immigrants bear in the US (which makes the child a US citizen) to provide an "anchor" to this country and hinders deportation of the parent.
It's being used in a different way these days by gold diggers across the country.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't believe the OP is concerned with the extra amount of CS he will be required to pay for the week or two. I believe the OP hopes that if mom doesn't petition for post-graduation support BEFORE the child "graduates", then mom loses the right to do so.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I don't believe the OP is concerned with the extra amount of CS he will be required to pay for the week or two. I believe the OP hopes that if mom doesn't petition for post-graduation support BEFORE the child "graduates", then mom loses the right to do so.
Could well be.

My desire to end CS as soon as legally possible is not out of a desire to stop supporting my kids but rather to stop supporting their mom.

Mom gets to live in the house that my money helps pay the mortgage on. She gets to eat the food that I help buy. She gets to ride around in the car that I help pay for...etc etc.

I would give my kids the shirt off my back if they needed it but there is no way to pay CS without mom gaining some benefit. Ending CS does not mean ending my love and support for my kids, it ends me having to go through mom to do it.

CSO286

My desire to end CS as soon as legally possible is not out of a desire to stop supporting my kids but rather to stop supporting their mom.

Mom gets to live in the house that my money helps pay the mortgage on. She gets to eat the food that I help buy. She gets to ride around in the car that I help pay for...etc etc.

I would give my kids the shirt off my back if they needed it but there is no way to pay CS without mom gaining some benefit. Ending CS does not mean ending my love and support for my kids, it ends me having to go through mom to do it.
Or:

What you pay is only a small reimbursement of the money Mom spends providing
  • the home the children sleep in
  • the food they children eat
  • The gas they need to get from home to school or various other activities
  • The clothes the children wear

I highly doubt the amount of money you pay in support is sufficient to meet every need of the children to the point that Mom is "benefitting" from it.

EXACTLY. I'll now be collecting apologies from everyone who said I was out of line for proposing that Mom shouldn't get an extra dime while the OP wants to support his kids directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">