• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Support Obligation Ends when My Child "Graduates" from High School

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or:

What you pay is only a small reimbursement of the money Mom spends providing
  • the home the children sleep in
  • the food they children eat
  • The gas they need to get from home to school or various other activities
  • The clothes the children wear

I highly doubt the amount of money you pay in support is sufficient to meet every need of the children to the point that Mom is "benefitting" from it.
Yeah right the amount he should be paying should represent not more than HALF of the bare minimum of these amounts. That is rarely the case. Time will show mom's lifestyle changing quite a bit once she doesn't get that check anymore. I'm sure you're looking forward to watching it go in the toilet OP.

Or:

What you pay is only a small reimbursement of the money Mom spends providing
  • the home the children sleep in
  • the food they children eat
  • The gas they need to get from home to school or various other activities
  • The clothes the children wear

I highly doubt the amount of money you pay in support is sufficient to meet every need of the children to the point that Mom is "benefitting" from it.
I never claimed my CS payments covered my kids entire living expenses.

My kids visit me for 6 weeks over the summer. Their mom sends them with only the clothes they are wearing so I have to buy them both a summer wardrobe. I also have to get their prescriptions filled because she doesn't send that either. If I add up all the additional costs that occur for the 6 weeks they are here including the clothes and meds and activities, it is far less than 6 weeks worth of CS payments.

CSO286

Yeah right the amount he should be paying should represent not more than HALF of the bare minimum of these amounts.
This is incorrect. The amounts order should be such that the children's lifestyle is mainatained at as close to a pre-divorce level as possible.

That is rarely the case. Time will show mom's lifestyle changing quite a bit once she doesn't get that check anymore. I'm sure you're looking forward to watching it go in the toilet OP.
I rather doubt that. Once the children emancipate, become self-sufficient, and leave the nest, I foresee Mom's lifestyle dramatically improving. She will no longer be required to buy as many groceries or pay as much in water, fuel or utility costs. Nor will she be required to provide the children with spending cash, school clothes or sports fees, or pay for dance classes and music lessons......

Her world will improve.

Last edited:

TinkerBelleLuvr

EXACTLY. I'll now be collecting apologies from everyone who said I was out of line for proposing that Mom shouldn't get an extra dime while the OP wants to support his kids directly.
Since you appear to be deficient in reading COMPREHENSION, the OP, you know, the original poster, said NOTHING about all the carrying on about supporting mom, etc. That was OTHER posters who interjected THEIR opinion. The OP simply wanted to know at what point does it look like the CP cannot go back to court for additional support.

CSO286

I never claimed my CS payments covered my kids entire living expenses.

My kids visit me for 6 weeks over the summer. Their mom sends them with only the clothes they are wearing so I have to buy them both a summer wardrobe. I also have to get their prescriptions filled because she doesn't send that either. If I add up all the additional costs that occur for the 6 weeks they are here including the clothes and meds and activities, it is far less than 6 weeks worth of CS payments.
Ok, I'm dying to know.

Exactly how much are you paying for how many children?

CSO286

Yeah right the amount he should be paying should represent not more than HALF of the bare minimum of these amounts. That is rarely the case. Time will show mom's lifestyle changing quite a bit once she doesn't get that check anymore. I'm sure you're looking forward to watching it go in the toilet OP.
Well, in some parts of the country a two bedroom apt can rent for as little as $300/mth. So, by your logic since that is the minimum rent that could be paid, then the person ordered to pay support should be required to pay no more than $150 toward hosuing costs?

How should CSEAs calculate food costs per child? Medical costs? Clothing? Utilities? Transportation expenses? Should the children be permitted to participate in school activities? Who should pay? Why? At what point should the children be punished because the adults either got divorced or were never married?

Please, do tell me what your theory on how support should be calculated and paid is. I'm dying to hear.

Well, in some parts of the country a two bedroom apt can rent for as little as $300/mth. So, by your logic since that is the minimum rent that could be paid, then the person ordered to pay support should be required to pay no more than $150 toward hosuing costs?

How should CSEAs calculate food costs per child? Medical costs? Clothing? Utilities? Transportation expenses? Should the children be permitted to participate in school activities? Who should pay? Why? At what point should the children be punished because the adults either got divorced or were never married?

Please, do tell me what your theory on how support should be calculated and paid is. I'm dying to hear.
In my opinion (this is not the law - but it should be) there should be no child support whatsoever. Mom makes the ultimate decision to have the child and she should have to live with that decision and support her little "family" on her own without help from the biological father unless he consented to having the baby (didn't request an abortion) or wishes to voluntarily contribute.

I'mTheFather

In my opinion (this is not the law - but it should be) there should be no child support whatsoever. Mom makes the ultimate decision to have the child and she should have to live with that decision and support her little "family" on her own without help from the biological father unless he consented to having the baby (didn't request an abortion) or wishes to voluntarily contribute.
Well, that's an interesting opinion.

It's clear you've given this a lot of thought. It's also clear you feel strongly about the quality of the laws that our elected leaders have pushed upon us. It's also very clear that you have a lot of time on your hands.

So, my suggestion to you is to get off the computer and run for office. As you can tell by your following on this site, you have a gift. Share it with the world instead of a limited legal site.

Go! Spread your gospel! I can guarantee you'll get the attention you seek!

Well, that's an interesting opinion.

It's clear you've given this a lot of thought. It's also clear you feel strongly about the quality of the laws that our elected leaders have pushed upon us. It's also very clear that you have a lot of time on your hands.

So, my suggestion to you is to get off the computer and run for office. As you can tell by your following on this site, you have a gift. Share it with the world instead of a limited legal site.

Go! Spread your gospel! I can guarantee you'll get the attention you seek!
Unfortunately the amount of time I have budgeted for following the free advice forum won't leave me with enough to run for office. Moreover, I'm a pretty nasty person whose views aren't shared by the majority. I lack the charm to be an effective politician. I dictate policy, I do not schmooze. I'm much better suited to private industry and running my keyboard on internet forums.

I'mTheFather

Unfortunately the amount of time I have budgeted for following the free advice forum won't leave me with enough to run for office. Moreover, I'm a pretty nasty person whose views aren't shared by the majority. I lack the charm to be an effective politician. I dictate policy, I do not schmooze. I'm much better suited to private industry and running my keyboard on internet forums.
And the most suitable response is....

Another make-it-up-as-you-go answer from BigMouthWino.

Ladies and Gentlemen, it appears what we have here is a first class troll. She is very effective at getting people to respond.

I suggest that in the future the senior members don't bother arguing with her, as that is exactly what she wants. Simply warn the OP that she has been known to provide incorrect advice and move on.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I guess we're lucky that your "opinion" is exactly opposite of the law and of public policy.

Ok, I'm dying to know.

Exactly how much are you paying for how many children?
I'm reluctant to announce on a message bord my exact amount but I'll say this.

For this summer I've spent on my kids over 6 weeks approximately:

$300 on clothes
$50 on medication
2 extra tank of gas taking them places @ $50 each total of $100
extra $50 per week in groceries $300 total
$200 miscellaneous

Total $950

Thats significantly less than 6 weeks of CS.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Of course, for as many CPs (yes, that includes men as well as women) who are the moneygrubbers that thehoppah and Whiner go on about, there are many more CPs (including men AND women) who pay significantly more than what they receive in CS to provide for their children.

I can tell hoppah that the $158/week he spent on his kids for the summer parenting time wouldn't even cover my athlete's food for a week. Certainly not the sports equipment, club and tournament fees, clothing, school supplies, gas, car insurance and maintenance, medical insurance and bills, etc. That's not counting our other child.

I understand that every situation is different. There are those who pay and receive a lot less than what their children require. I can only speak for me and, in my case, if both kids came to live with me full time and I never received a penny in CS from mom, Id be financially better off than I am now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">