Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 46
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5

    My Support Obligation Ends when My Child "Graduates" from High School

    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

    I have paid CS for 17 years. My son turned 18 last fall. Per my court papers my obligation ends when he turns 18 or graduates from high school. Does "graduate" refer to the day he finishes his HS coursework or the day of the graduation ceremony? His course work was completed last week and the ceremony is this week. I look @ it as though his HS degree has been earned and the ceremony is a technicality. I ask b/c my ex had the option to file a petition for post support. Have the courts lost their jurisdiction b/c he is 18 and finished his HS coursework last week? Can anyone confirm? Thanks


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    63,483
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas70 View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

    I have paid CS for 17 years. My son turned 18 last fall. Per my court papers my obligation ends when he turns 18 or graduates from high school. Does "graduate" refer to the day he finishes his HS coursework or the day of the graduation ceremony? His course work was completed last week and the ceremony is this week. I look @ it as though his HS degree has been earned and the ceremony is a technicality. I ask b/c my ex had the option to file a petition for post support. Have the courts lost their jurisdiction b/c he is 18 and finished his HS coursework last week? Can anyone confirm? Thanks
    If he doesn't have his diploma in hand, then he hasn't graduated. (Barring silly screw-ups on the school's part, of course. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/11/word-misspelled-on-nevada_0_n_1586222.html for example.)


  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas70 View Post
    My son turned 18 last fall. Per my court papers my obligation ends when he turns 18 or graduates from high school.
    If he's already 18, then why is the graduation the issue here? The way you wrote the statement it sounds like your obligation already ended when he turned 18.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    63,483
    Quote Originally Posted by Cali408nia View Post
    If he's already 18, then why is the graduation the issue here? The way you wrote the statement it sounds like your obligation already ended when he turned 18.
    The OP mis-spoke (mis-typed, actually.) That's what happens when they paraphrase
    CS ends on the later of the two occurrences.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Cali408nia View Post
    If he's already 18, then why is the graduation the issue here? The way you wrote the statement it sounds like your obligation already ended when he turned 18.

    Let me clarify, the papers state "18 or graduate from high school, which ever is later".


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    63,483
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas70 View Post
    Let me clarify, the papers state "18 or graduate from high school, which ever is later".
    Yep


  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    I dunno. What time is it?
    Posts
    6,354
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigner View Post
    The OP mis-spoke (mis-typed, actually.) That's what happens when they paraphrase
    CS ends on the later of the two occurrences.
    Stop cheating. Nobody said you were allowed to use the crystal ball.

    Quote Originally Posted by thomas70 View Post
    Let me clarify, the papers state "18 or graduate from high school, which ever is later".


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    California
    Posts
    28,992
    Sooo, dad ... when your son graduates you will no longer feel obligated to help provide for him? No assistance for college, trade school, etc? No provision for medical or auto insurance?

    While you may be correct in that no direct support is required, what do those papers state about sharing costs of future education, insurance, etc.?


    A Retired Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

    "Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

    Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

    -- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM
  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigner View Post
    Yep

    I'm playing devil's advocate here (please humor me). Graduated means "diploma in hand"? Commencement ceremony is optional. What if child chooses not to participate?


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by CdwJava View Post
    Sooo, dad ... when your son graduates you will no longer feel obligated to help provide for him? No assistance for college, trade school, etc? No provision for medical or auto insurance?

    While you may be correct in that no direct support is required, what do those papers state about sharing costs of future education, insurance, etc.?
    I will continue to provide medical/dental insurance as I have for 18 yrs. Luckily, he has done amazing things in HS and has enough funds for a full ride. No, my papers do not state specifics about a future beyond 18.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    63,483
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas70 View Post
    I'm playing devil's advocate here (please humor me). Graduated means "diploma in hand"? Commencement ceremony is optional. What if child chooses not to participate?
    What if an asteroid strikes the office where all of the diplomas are stored?
    What if the principal takes some bad medicine and runs away to Mexico with all the diplomas?

    Let's not play the "what-if" on this. Your son is going to receive his diploma on the day of commencement. Honestly, I can see a valid argument that the last day of school is his graduation day...but that won't change your ex's option of filing for post-grad support.


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigner View Post
    What if an asteroid strikes the office where all of the diplomas are stored?
    What if the principal takes some bad medicine and runs away to Mexico with all the diplomas?

    Let's not play the "what-if" on this. Your son is going to receive his diploma on the day of commencement. Honestly, I can see a valid argument that the last day of school is his graduation day...but that won't change your ex's option of filing for post-grad support.
    Ok, ok. According to my paperwork my ex's has the option to petition for post grad support before my son is 18 and diploma in hand ("graduated"). The day has arrived that both of these circumstances have occured.


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    63,483
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas70 View Post
    Ok, ok. According to my paperwork my ex's has the option to petition for post grad support before my son is 18 and diploma in hand ("graduated"). The day has arrived that both of these circumstances have occured.
    Has she petitioned?


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    36,288
    Most likely they will end it before your next payment would be due. Most people pay on the first of the month (unless it's a garnishment). Either way, you need to file in court to stop child support and the judge will decide which actual day it will end.


  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    46,964
    At the end of the day, you're talking about a week or two difference, at most. Is that REALLY worth the argument?


Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-22-2010, 06:22 AM
  2. Child Support Ends @ 18 or when finishes high school
    By tlchance05 in forum Child Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-26-2007, 07:28 AM
  3. If my son graduates early from high school
    By HD515 in forum Child Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-23-2005, 08:27 AM
  4. Pay support untill she graduates from high school??
    By rb212 in forum Child Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-10-2005, 09:42 AM
  5. Question about High school "hazing"!
    By clarineteplaya0 in forum Libel / Slander / Defamation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-29-2004, 07:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© Since 1995 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.