• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name legality when applying for support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Linda A

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My brother & his wife are separated. They have 2 children together. This is her 2nd marriage. She has applied for support using the surname from her first husband. She uses my brothers surname on her drivers license, nursing license & the deed on the home that he quit claimed to her is my brothers surname.

Is it legal for her to file for child support from my brother using her former husbands surname?

Silverplum

My brother & his wife are separated. They have 2 children together. This is her 2nd marriage. She has applied for support using the surname from her first husband. She uses my brothers surname on her drivers license, nursing license & the deed on the home that he quit claimed to her is my brothers surname.

Is it legal for her to file for child support from my brother using her former husbands surname?
What portion of this issue is your business?

Just Blue

Does her last name matter? They are your brothers children regardless of what name Mom uses.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Honestly, as long as the information about the kids is correct, and Dad has no reason to believe that it is Mom applying for support, I do not see what's the problem.

She is not committing identity theft.

I suppose he could respond that he wishes the orders to state that Mom [1st name] is the same person as Mom [2nd name], but seriously, it's not like she's going to get separate court orders for support as Mom [1st name] and Mom [2nd name] for the same children from the same father.

She is not attempting to commit fraud by using this name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">