• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NCP claiming child on taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TJNJmom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Just curious as to how a judge can rule that the NCP be allowed to claim for the child on their taxes?

1. NCP didn't pay CP for years
2. Once NCP started to pay he had CP lowered claiming that he had more children that he had to pay daycare for and felt the daycare for the first child was unnecessary
3. The NCP doesn't provide the child with any medical financial support
4. The child does not live with the NCP and has spent a total of 24 days with the child in the last 12 months

Is this not unheard of I am curious I don't understand how this happens

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Just curious as to how a judge can rule that the NCP be allowed to claim for the child on their taxes?

1. NCP didn't pay CP for years
2. Once NCP started to pay he had CP lowered claiming that he had more children that he had to pay daycare for and felt the daycare for the first child was unnecessary
3. The NCP doesn't provide the child with any medical financial support
4. The child does not live with the NCP and has spent a total of 24 days with the child in the last 12 months

Is this not unheard of I am curious I don't understand how this happens
Your question is, basically "Can a judge..." The answer to most "Can a judge..." questions is "Yes, s/he can."

mistoffolees

How can a judge do that? Quite simple. Judge says "NCP gets to claim the child on their taxes and CP must sign a Form 8332 each year."

There are lots of legitimate reasons why a judge might do that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">