• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NCP lying about employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cnwe76

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I'm not entirely sure what to do here (or if there is even anything I CAN do) and was hoping to get some opinions from all you wise seniors. :D

We had a child support hearing about a week and a half ago (Ex managed to get it postponed twice but they finally refused to continue it again). I showed up at the proper time, expecting that they would allow him to appear via telephone as he did in our custody hearing. Turns out he called in 15 minutes prior to our hearing, stating he was at work and would not be able to 'appear' at the appointed time, so the judge allowed him to give him all of his financial info and used that to make his ruling. Ex stated that he was only making $13.50/hour, 40 hours per week, so the judge ordered that he should pay $94/week (for two children; prior to this hearing he was issued a temporary order to pay $15/week) and that he would NOT be ordering him to put the children on his health insurance because ex stated he cannot afford the monthly premiums (the children are currently on Medicaid).

Today his ex-wife was informed by Child Support Enforcement that he is NOT employed where he said he was and they cannot find any information on where he IS employed, or if he even is at all. We were pretty sure he wasn't employed as he said anyway, for several reasons, but this just basically confirmed it. So he essentially lied to the judge and gave a random number for his wages. My question is, what recourse do I have, if any? Or should I just leave things alone and in a few months file against him in court for not paying his child support? He has never bothered paying on the temporary order, he has not paid child support on his child with his ex-wife since March, and I don't expect that he'll all of a sudden start paying what he was ordered to pay me either. I did have a lawyer for our custody hearings, but she was not involved in the support hearings as CS in NY is fairly straightforward for the most part.

Thanks in advance, and I appreciate you taking the time to help if you can.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

BL

The x wife calling CSEU means ziltch .

CSEU can track his SS# to see if he is in fact working and if need be garnish his wages and take other enforcement steps , including suspensions of licenses for arrears .

Now , I've got to say "IF" he is not employed and isn't voluntarily unemployed or was not fired from his last job , why on earth would he say he is and earning wages ?

The minimum under the Child Support Standards act is either $25 or went up to $50 per month with little or no income.

You say the court took his info .

Both parties have to fill out financial information forms .

cnwe76

The x wife calling CSEU means ziltch .

CSEU can track his SS# to see if he is in fact working and if need be garnish his wages and take other enforcement steps , including suspensions of licenses for arrears .

Now , I've got to say "IF" he is not employed and isn't voluntarily unemployed or was not fired from his last job , why on earth would he say he is and earning wages ?

The minimum under the Child Support Standards act is either $25 or went up to $50 per month with little or no income.

You say the court took his info .

Both parties have to fill out financial information forms .

Yes, we did fill out financial affidavits, or at least I did...I am not sure if he did and faxed it or something along those lines.

CSEU is currently trying to track down his current employer (if he is in fact working) but said it would take a few weeks. I honestly don't know much more than that at this point; everything else is just speculation since I have no way to prove any of it.

As to WHY he would lie about being employed when he isn't? He is mentally ill and a pathological liar to the nth degree. I've given up trying to figure out WHY he does anything. He cheated with multiple women at the same time; lied about where he was from, things that have happened to him in his life, military service (he is currently being investigated for impersonating a soldier), work...it doesn't matter what it is, he will embellish or outright lie about anything out of his mouth. At our first support hearing, he was ordered to provide pay stubs and all pertinent financial information by our next hearing. The day before THAT hearing, he called the court and said he moved and due to 'training for work' he would be unable to make it to the hearing, so it was postponed 2 weeks. He called again two days before that hearing saying due to the 3 hour distance and not being able to get time off work, he wouldn't be able to attend again. They rescheduled yet again, and my first post explains what happened this time.

I realize the situation is strange...believe me, I wish it was more straightforward than it is, but all I can do right now is try and get things finalized so that my kids and I can return to something resembling a normal life.

And I sincerely apologize for starting a new thread...I realized my last thread was posted in the wrong forum, so I thought it was ok to start this one in the correct area. My apologies if this was wrong, and I appreciate the advice given so far. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">