• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NCP's voluntary change?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Maine

NCP is trying to get child support reduced based on his travel expenses - I know that there is a law that allows a deviation for travel expenses, but for a VOLUNTARY relocation that increases travel expenses - I don't think that's fair, that I essentially have to pay (by a reduction in child support) for his travel expenses that he incurred by his voluntary relocation. He also wants me to meet him half way - which means I would have to drive 2 hours to meet him at my expense...again, it was a voluntary move on his part, I don't think I should have to pay for that.

Is there anything (law/precidence, etc.) that determines if the change is voluntary, they wouldn't get the reduction?

I did post this question earlier, and got an answer of No (he woudn't get a reduction) and No (I wouldn't have to travel)...just wondering if there's evidence I can use against it. I don't know if that answer was just someone's opinion on it, or if it was actual legal advise.

NotSoNew

well i think anyone saying a definative NO is misleading. i know each case and eveyr judge is different, but the trend is starting to shift towards 50/50 split of travel costs no matter who moves. this isnt always fair but deemed in the best interest of the child. in our case mom was awarded a move away 3.5 hours away, dad was against it, and it was voluntary on moms part. dad was ordered to meet her 1/2 way. :(

as far as the travel expenses, i mean they would have to be quite costly for them to even make an impact. if you are ordered to meet him 1/2 way he only have 1/2 of the expenses, and how often does he get the child? we figured out the travel expenses for our situation and it wouldnt have really made a difference in the CS even if we were awarded it (we never asked for it because mom never did move)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">