• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice on failure to pay dr bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Texas -

Ex refuses to pay for 50% of son's dr bills. At this point they are going to be a monthly expense, he is on a monthly medication and is seeing a therapist once a week. The whole reason for the therapist is due to dad's complete emotional abuse when he sees him and the horribly negative comments to son about me. Son has broken down to therapists, hsi teachers, his counselor at school, anyone who will listen. It is not an option to stop therapy at this point.

I'm assuming those visits will break down to twice a month after he starts working with her and learning how to "deal" with dad's nastiness.

In the meantime, the meds are $35.00 a month co-pay, (he has been on the meds for a yr now, they are not becasue of current issues) visits are $30.00 a wk co-pay. That is an additional $155.00 out of pocket monthly for me that I am having trouble budgeting in.

We JUST went to mediation in November simply to update our papers, so court is really not an option right now. In mediation he claimed he would pay up, and I thought the point was t0 mediate and settle without going to court so I didn't push anything, just took him for his worthless word. :rolleyes:

Question is - if I keep records of all of the bills I send to him that he is refusing to pay, is their any other recourse for me aside from contempt charges?

Also - if these bills build up for let's say a yr - and I do end up filing contempt, will he have to pay up for ALL of the bills, even over a yr old if I can prove that he did in fact receive them and refused to pay?

Thanks. At this point, he owes over $400.00 to me for the last year of bills and I don't see him paying up - (son had emergency dental work not completely covered by my insurance)

thanks for any info or advice!

bononos

bonkers101 said:
Texas -

Ex refuses to pay for 50% of son's dr bills. At this point they are going to be a monthly expense, he is on a monthly medication and is seeing a therapist once a week. The whole reason for the therapist is due to dad's complete emotional abuse when he sees him and the horribly negative comments to son about me. Son has broken down to therapists, hsi teachers, his counselor at school, anyone who will listen. It is not an option to stop therapy at this point.

I'm assuming those visits will break down to twice a month after he starts working with her and learning how to "deal" with dad's nastiness.

In the meantime, the meds are $35.00 a month co-pay, (he has been on the meds for a yr now, they are not becasue of current issues) visits are $30.00 a wk co-pay. That is an additional $155.00 out of pocket monthly for me that I am having trouble budgeting in.

We JUST went to mediation in November simply to update our papers, so court is really not an option right now. In mediation he claimed he would pay up, and I thought the point was t0 mediate and settle without going to court so I didn't push anything, just took him for his worthless word. :rolleyes:

Question is - if I keep records of all of the bills I send to him that he is refusing to pay, is their any other recourse for me aside from contempt charges?

Also - if these bills build up for let's say a yr - and I do end up filing contempt, will he have to pay up for ALL of the bills, even over a yr old if I can prove that he did in fact receive them and refused to pay?

Thanks. At this point, he owes over $400.00 to me for the last year of bills and I don't see him paying up - (son had emergency dental work not completely covered by my insurance)

File for contempt.

Thank you bononos and others - though I am not in ElPaso I'm certain there are the same papers in my neck of the woods, I'll do a search.

If I file contempt charges, can I do this myself or would it be recommended that I shell out another 3K for my attorney...if so..it aint' worth it! :rolleyes:

bononos

bonkers101 said:
Thank you bononos and others - though I am not in ElPaso I'm certain there are the same papers in my neck of the woods, I'll do a search.

If I file contempt charges, can I do this myself or would it be recommended that I shell out another 3K for my attorney...if so..it aint' worth it! :rolleyes:
You should be able to handle it yourself.
It is kind of cut and dry, fill out the forms, provide the billing statements.

But, hopefully another poster will respond to this...
Will her current attorney have to withdraw as her representation in order for her to file pro se?

N

nicetryadmin

ceara19 said:
And ask that he be made to pay 100% of the bills he chose to ignore.
In addition to all court AND filing fees involved.

N

nicetryadmin

bonkers101 said:
Texas -

One question that MIGHT play a factor into this:

What kind of custody is involved here? Joint legal or sole custodY?

Joint legal, we both carry insurance ~ his medical is primary, mine secondary, my dental primary and his secondary. We are to split anything the insurance doesn't cover 50/50.

N

nicetryadmin

bonkers101 said:
Joint legal, we both carry insurance ~ his medical is primary, mine secondary, my dental primary and his secondary. We are to split anything the insurance doesn't cover 50/50.
And what language is in your order regarding consulting each other prior to medical/dental issues?? He is refusing to pay some of these because you are not consulting with him?

bononos

nicetryadmin said:
And what language is in your order regarding consulting each other prior to medical/dental issues?? He is refusing to pay some of these because you are not consulting with him?
Ahhhhh, never thought about that!
Good call!

ceara19

nicetryadmin said:
If it's medically necessary, the parent bringing the child for treatment usually only has to NOTIFY the other parent, not consult with them. Even if she didn't properly notify him, he still has to pay whatever amount the CO says he is responsible for. We all know that ONE parents failure to follow the CO does NOT excuse the other parent doing the same.

bononos

ceara19 said:
If it's medically necessary, the parent bringing the child for treatment usually only has to NOTIFY the other parent, not consult with them. Even if she didn't properly notify him, he still has to pay whatever amount the CO says he is responsible for. We all know that ONE parents failure to follow the CO does NOT excuse the other parent doing the same.
The first post, she stated:

"At this point they are going to be a monthly expense, he is on a monthly medication and is seeing a therapist once a week. The whole reason for the therapist is due to dad's complete emotional abuse when he sees him and the horribly negative comments to son about me."

So, Dad may not agree with child attending counseling, nor the medication if it is a mental health related medication.

Something I would guess she could not make a unilateral decision about in joint legal custody.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">