• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice on filing 8 yrs later

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CJ528

What is the name of your state? I reside in Colorado, but bio dad in NY and child was born in NY.

When my previous fiance and I split in 1996 it was bitter and ugly. When I learned a few months later that I was pregnant I brought him medical documents, signed doctors notes, sonogram pics, etc. He was still so bitter about our breakup though that he told me he will have nothing to do with the baby since it's part mine. I even have a hand-written and mailed letter from him stating (when I was in my last month) that I should have an abortion because the child would be a "monster" and so forth. Perhaps it's needless to say that I left his name off the birth certificate and never went to court - I was afraid of him getting custody or visits after such a nasty attitude. I DID, however, spend 3 years asking him to change his mind and try to be a dad to her, but he always said no.
Our daughter will be 8 after new year's and I regret very much that I never went after him for his share of the responsibility for her. I would like to file now, but am not sure how, where or if I even can. I no longer reside in the same state of her birth, but he does. Would I file in NY or CO if I CAN file?

Sorry this was long, but any advice??? Anyone been through this?
Thanks for any help!

~CJ :confused:

haiku

do you think his attitude will be better if you knock on his door after 8 years?

If you petition for child support, he can petition for visitation..........

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">