• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Advice in South FL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bonez305

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FLORIDA

Hello, I just joined because I don't know where else to turn to. I have a 7 year old child with my a woman that I had a relationship in the past with now the problem is, My aunt has been taking care of my child for pretty much the whole year while this girl just receives the child support money and doesn't do anything for him. Now all of a sudden she goes and picks him up and doesn't even tell me where she is living. I'm trying to figure out if I can get some type of help. I havent been working in a month and I'm backed up on child support and If I do my taxes all I'm going to do is lose them since they give my return directly to her.
Last year she took my son to New York to supposedly go live with her come to find out she went to NY and admitted herself in a shelter and used the kids as a way of getting free help to get a house so her past boyfriend could smooch off them as well.

I need to try and get custody of my son because this girl isn't trying to do anything with her life but find boyfriends and depend on them, which i don't respect and want my child as part of that. I love my son and spent Halloween happily with him, and Christmas with him.

Just Blue

Hello, I just joined because I don't know where else to turn to. I have a 7 year old child with my a woman that I had a relationship in the past with now the problem is, My aunt has been taking care of my child for pretty much the whole year while this girl just receives the child support money and doesn't do anything for him. Now all of a sudden she goes and picks him up and doesn't even tell me where she is living. I'm trying to figure out if I can get some type of help. I havent been working in a month and I'm backed up on child support and If I do my taxes all I'm going to do is lose them since they give my return directly to her.
Last year she took my son to New York to supposedly go live with her come to find out she went to NY and admitted herself in a shelter and used the kids as a way of getting free help to get a house so her past boyfriend could smooch off them as well.

I need to try and get custody of my son because this girl isn't trying to do anything with her life but find boyfriends and depend on them, which i don't respect and want my child as part of that. I love my son and spent Halloween happily with him, and Christmas with him.
Is English your second language???

mistoffolees

Please spend some time reading this forum to learn how it works.

1. You're not going to get custody on the basis of your ex finding a new boyfriend. First, you need a change in circumstances to even get a custody hearing. Then, you have to prove to the court that a change of circumstances is in the child's best interests. And Mom finding a new boyfriend doesn't even come close.

2. Child support has nothing to do with custody. You can't be denied visitation simply because you're behind on child support. In some states, you can't file for a modification in custody when you're behind on child support, though.

3. Do you have a court order covering custody and visitation? If not, you need to do so immediately. File to establish legal custody (if it has not been done yet) and standard visitation.

4. If the child hasn't been gone long, you can file a request for the child to be returned to the jurisdiction of the court while the matter is pending.

5. While the child was with Aunt, you could have filed for custody - and had at least some chance. Since Mom appears to have the child back (if I'm reading your post correctly), that's going to be a lot harder. I would focus on getting court-ordered visitation (look up standard visitation for your state) in place. Then, if ex doesn't allow you to see the child, file for contempt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">