• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice with support order please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ChiGirl82

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

Hello all,

I found this site while looking on the web for help. I just had a hearing with a DOR support hearing officer. I filed for a support order review a few months back...and finally had the hearing today. In the support order review I filed out the financial statement and sent it to the DOR, they in turn agreed my support should be lowered so they sent a petition to the court in order to have it lowered, the father sent in an objection and caused the hearing. Today in the hearing the DOR hearing officer said that she finds no reason to lower the support order....that makes no sense to me...the petition filed by the DOR states that the support should be lowered based on my current financial state.

I can not afford to pay the amount the are saying I need to pay...I will not be able to support myself and my older son.

She did say I can file an objection...can someone please tell me what steps I need to do in order to file an objection..please I don't know what to do...and can not afford an attorney right now.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Hello all,

I found this site while looking on the web for help. I just had a hearing with a DOR support hearing officer. I filed for a support order review a few months back...and finally had the hearing today. In the support order review I filed out the financial statement and sent it to the DOR, they in turn agreed my support should be lowered so they sent a petition to the court in order to have it lowered, the father sent in an objection and caused the hearing. Today in the hearing the DOR hearing officer said that she finds no reason to lower the support order....that makes no sense to me...the petition filed by the DOR states that the support should be lowered based on my current financial state.

I can not afford to pay the amount the are saying I need to pay...I will not be able to support myself and my older son.

She did say I can file an objection...can someone please tell me what steps I need to do in order to file an objection..please I don't know what to do...and can not afford an attorney right now.
You are going to have to educate yourself and file an objection. Are you working? If not, why not? How long have you not been working if you are not working?

ChiGirl82

You are going to have to educate yourself and file an objection. Are you working? If not, why not? How long have you not been working if you are not working?
Yes I am working and going to school.

I started working in Kohls and just called them today to see if they have a full time opening.

Can you give me any advice where I can find info on how to file an objection?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes I am working and going to school.

I started working in Kohls and just called them today to see if they have a full time opening.

Can you give me any advice where I can find info on how to file an objection?
Being in school means that you are voluntarily underemployed. You need to work FULL time and go to school less. You should start by reading your county's local rules.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

Hello all,

Where is your older son's other parent?

You will have to pay support based upon what you COULD be making if you worked full time. The needs of your child come before your need / desire to go to school.

Is your older son's father paying an amount in line with current guidelines?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You will have to pay support based upon what you COULD be making if you worked full time. The needs of your child come before your need / desire to go to school.

Is your older son's father paying an amount in line with current guidelines?
Texas is one of those strange states I believe that do a straight percentage -- 20% of income for child support.

ChiGirl82

Texas is one of those strange states I believe that do a straight percentage -- 20% of income for child support.

But the support I am ordered to pay now...way above the guideline...even if I was working full time. I simply can not afford to pay it.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
But the support I am ordered to pay now...way above the guideline...even if I was working full time. I simply can not afford to pay it.
Why is it way above guideline? Quite frankly if you are capable of earning the income for that, it is what you can be ordered to pay. You need to read the local rules for the county in which you are in and educate yourself on how to file an objection.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Here's the thing: Your child deserves to be supported financially by you REGARDLESS of your choices. If you were earning enough to substantiate that amount, then you should be paying that amount regardless of the fact that you are NOW in school and working part time. Have you ever earned more per hour than what you are earning at Kohl's? If so, why did you leave that job? How much of your current order is arrears? How much of your current order is based on full time earnings at your prior job before you decided to go to school? Why -- and when -- did you leave your prior job? Why did you decide to go to school?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">