• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Child Support help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vectrexevo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hello,

After the child support hearing I was ordered to pay child support. Before the first month even started the mother decided to opt out of child support and did not want me to see the child.

Now, 10 years later. She reopens the child support case that I just found out about by mail. I need help for this. I'm also paying child support for another child from a previous relationship. I'm also married with a child and out of work.

Last edited:

Silverplum

Hello,

I'm the father of a child I had in 2001. At the time I was married to the mother for 2 years. We divorced, she has custody of the child. Off any records and before child support was even applied for by the mother I saw the child every other weekend for 2 years. After the child support hearing I was ordered to pay child support. Before the first month even started the mother decided to opt out of child support and did not want me to see the child. She moved all over the place and I did not get the law involved because I did not want to put the child through the drama and confusion, plus I was not financially stable at the time but I still tried to see the child every other weekend until loss of contact.

Now, 10 years later. She reopens the child support case that I just found out about by mail. I need help for this. I'm also paying child support for another child from a previous relationship. I'm also married with a child and out of work.

Anyone know a decent lawyer ?
Sorry, but we do not provide referrals on the forums.

Proserpina

Hello,

I'm the father of a child I had in 2001. At the time I was married to the mother for 2 years. We divorced, she has custody of the child. Off any records and before child support was even applied for by the mother I saw the child every other weekend for 2 years. After the child support hearing I was ordered to pay child support. Before the first month even started the mother decided to opt out of child support and did not want me to see the child. She moved all over the place and I did not get the law involved because I did not want to put the child through the drama and confusion, plus I was not financially stable at the time but I still tried to see the child every other weekend until loss of contact.

Anyone know a decent lawyer ?
One way or another you're going to be paying some child support. The question now is how far back are you going to be charged. If Mom never closed out the original order, you may be dealing with some sticker shock. If she has started a new case, it will generally go back to the date she files.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">