• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rutherfordx2

What is the name of your state: Washington

I pay over $400 in child support a month (which was just raised $80 for childs extras) AND i pay $500 a month for medical/dental. my ex wants to get my child braces (which my dentist said is NOT a medical need AND my daughter who is 8 1/2 does not want) but insurance doesnt cover all the cost am i legally obligated to pay the extra?

Last edited:

Silverplum

I pay over $400 in child support a month (which was just raised $80 for childs extras) AND i pay $500 a month for medical/dental. my ex wants to get my child braces (which my dentist said is NOT a medical need AND my daughter who is 8 1/2 does not want) but insurance doesnt cover all the cost am i legally obligated to pay the extra?
I don't know. How could I?

What does your decree state on the topic, word-for-word (omitting names)?

You also erased the question asking the name of your state.

Frankly, I don't know how you expect us to help you. We're not mind-readers, and we aren't magicians.

rutherfordx2

I don't know. How could I?

What does your decree state on the topic, word-for-word (omitting names)?

You also erased the question asking the name of your state.

Frankly, I don't know how you expect us to help you. We're not mind-readers, and we aren't magicians.
You dont have to be rude about it? I am from washington state and i have googled ALOT of stuff on this topic and got nowhere.

If you going to be rude why even answer stuff like this, your not helping.....

Silverplum

You dont have to be rude about it? I am from washington state and i have googled ALOT of stuff on this topic and got nowhere.

If you going to be rude why even answer stuff like this, your not helping.....
I see you edited your initial post to add that you are in WA state.

Now that you've had your say, I'll "let" others help you. ;)

Others?

Others?

rutherfordx2

Yes i thought it was young for braces too, but she is calling me everyday asking if i will pay the amount that insurance doesnt cover and i tell her no. I pay for insurance am i thought thats all i was legally obligated to do (plus pay my support)

CSO286

What is the name of your state: Washington

Ok, so your dentist does not feel that the braces are necesary...What does Mom's dentist think? ETA: And what does your court order state about who is responsible for uninsured/unreimbursed medical expenses? (It's usually split at a percentage.)

And as to the child's opinion---$5 says she also doesn't want a her immunizations or to do her math homework....But a good parent sees that they happen anyway.

ETA: Just an aside, but many dentists are doing othodontics much earlier than they used to......

Last edited:

rutherfordx2

well thanks i guess for the advise if thats what you call it but you need to know the laws before you start telling people what they need to do.... i just got off the phone with a child support attorney and I am leagally obligated to get my child medical insurance and that is ALL. if i do not agree to let my daughter get braces and my dentist and his 3 other dentist in his buliding all feel that she doesnt need them and give me letters stating so then i do not have to pay anything extra**************....Like he said, he is tired of men an women trying to get rediculous amounts out of noncustodial parents who do there duties an PAY what they need to.

FYI: my ex has been caught in several lies about what things cost just to get more money out of me AND has been fired from 3 jobs becasue she stole from them, im sorry i love my child but i am NOt going to put her through the pain of braces NOR pay for them if they are not needed as her teeth look good and she is in no pain

THANKS

Silverplum

well thanks i guess for the advise if thats what you call it but you need to know the laws before you start telling people what they need to do.... i just got off the phone with a child support attorney and I am leagally obligated to get my child medical insurance and that is ALL. if i do not agree to let my daughter get braces and my dentist and his 3 other dentist in his buliding all feel that she doesnt need them and give me letters stating so then i do not have to pay anything extra**************....Like he said, he is tired of men an women trying to get rediculous amounts out of noncustodial parents who do there duties an PAY what they need to.

FYI: my ex has been caught in several lies about what things cost just to get more money out of me AND has been fired from 3 jobs becasue she stole from them, im sorry i love my child but i am NOt going to put her through the pain of braces NOR pay for them if they are not needed as her teeth look good and she is in no pain

THANKS
If CSO were here at this very moment, I imagine that poster would be saying, "It's been a pleasure."

Or maybe just, "OG Effect."

CSO286

THANKS

OP, please have a macaroon.
:rolleyes::cool:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

THANKS
Did you present the lawyer with ONLY the information you provided in your initial post? Or did you provide him/her with the specifics of your situation/order? If the latter, you're comparing apples to oranges.

As an FYI, many orthodontists start doing stuff like expand the palate sometime between 8 & 12, in preparation for actual braces. All depends on the situation. And neither Dad's nor Mom's dentists' opinions really count for much. It is the opinion of the CHILD's dentist/orthodontist that matters.

Silverplum

See, OP, I knew "Others" would go ahead and respond. ;)

Did you present the lawyer with ONLY the information you provided in your initial post? Or did you provide him/her with the specifics of your situation/order? If the latter, you're comparing apples to oranges.

As an FYI, many orthodontists start doing stuff like expand the palate sometime between 8 & 12, in preparation for actual braces. All depends on the situation. And neither Dad's nor Mom's dentists' opinions really count for much. It is the opinion of the CHILD's dentist/orthodontist that matters.

CSO286

I sit corrected.

Otherwise we end up with dueling dentists to go right along with the dueling lawyers and dueling parents.

Seriouly, this should not be about money. It should be about the children.

*sigh*

Also, an expandable plate now at age 8 1/2 (Which was just about when my daughter had hers) can save pain for the child later, and money for the parent. Why doesn't dad offer to take the child for a second opinion to an orthodontist of his choosing?

OP, your despise for the mother of your child(ren) is showing. How about focusing on what might be the right thing for the child(ren) first and foremost?

nextwife

I sit corrected.

Otherwise we end up with dueling dentists to go right along with the dueling lawyers and dueling parents.

Seriouly, this should not be about money. It should be about the children.

*sigh*
And soliciting a second opinion, checking to see if a different professional might have a different opinion of when to start, what appliances should be used, and what approach to take is NOT about the children? I love my daughter and want what's best for her, but you betcha I would never have moved forward with something as important (and expensive) as braces without first taking the time to solicit more than one professional opinion.

And, if a successful outcome can be had for less money, what is WRONG with that? One need not OVERSPEND to prove they love their kids or look out for their best interest. Actually, demonstrating the value of being fiscally responsible, and medically cautious is a GOOD thing for children to learn from.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">