• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help in pa!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Justrights

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Ok so me and ex went to child support mediation a week or o ago and i showed i lost my job in june and i have filed for disability (i have 3 herniated discs and need a surgery)they guy there told me he couldnt give me an answer and that he would mail us his decision

well yesterday i get the decision in the mail and it said i make 3000 a month and i need to pay 975 a month in support, now mind you i lost my job that was paying me 3000 in june. How can i pay 965 when i dont even make $300 a month... i dont understand how this system is working. How can they use income to a job i USED to have...

Im scared because i cant pay 975 a month and i dont want to go to jail.... any lawyers got any insight???

Isis1

when you say "the guy" you aren't referring to a judge are you?

the paper you received in the mail, was it an order, or a referral for the judge?

you need to show your proof before a judge.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Ok so me and ex went to child support mediation a week or o ago and i showed i lost my job in june and i have filed for disability (i have 3 herniated discs and need a surgery)they guy there told me he couldnt give me an answer and that he would mail us his decision

well yesterday i get the decision in the mail and it said i make 3000 a month and i need to pay 975 a month in support, now mind you i lost my job that was paying me 3000 in june. How can i pay 965 when i dont even make $300 a month... i dont understand how this system is working. How can they use income to a job i USED to have...

Im scared because i cant pay 975 a month and i dont want to go to jail.... any lawyers got any insight???

There should be instructions on how to file an appeal.

Did you read those?

(They can, incidentally, use what they think you're capable of earning)

Justrights

it wasnt a judge we seen we seen a mediator at domestic relations, there is a form to contest the decision and go in front of a judge im just saying how can they make me pay something that i dont even make? how ****e dup is the system if they allow that?

i dont care what i USED to make, i was fired, i dont have that job anymore and im currently waiting to hear from disability, i have a disability lawyer and all... how can they MAKE me pay what i DONT make?

Isis1

it wasnt a judge we seen we seen a mediator at domestic relations, there is a form to contest the decision and go in front of a judge im just saying how can they make me pay something that i dont even make? how ****e dup is the system if they allow that?

i dont care what i USED to make, i was fired, i dont have that job anymore and im currently waiting to hear from disability, i have a disability lawyer and all... how can they MAKE me pay what i DONT make?
because the court rule on what your are capable of making unless there is just cause otherwise. people quit working all the time mistakenly thinking they won't have to pay support. people get fired all the time also thinking not having a job will make the support order stop.

so, you say you were fired. let us help you. why were you fired?

OHRoadwarrior

So how is it you are disabled if you were working? You are taking the position you are suddenly unable to work. The court is taking the point you were working, were fired and chose not to get another job.

Justrights

well i got hurt 2 years ago at an old job, i was on workers comp for like a year and that wasnt enuff to survive so i started this job which was an easy job and making good money so i figured i could do it, well after a few months the manager called me and told me I was let go, i was in the er the day before they fired me due to my back acting up. the position i was working was a position where someone had to "man station" at all times and me calling out here and there due to my back wasnt making them happy.

so when i was let go my lawyer advised me to file for disability because it became apparent that evena simple job i was unable to do due to my disability. 3 months later my ex had me in domestics and now they want me to pay 900+ when i dont make anything right now because im in the process of waiting for my claim for ssd.

i dunno what i can do at this point.. i cant pay 900 a month for support theres no way, i cant get a job thats gonna pay me 3000 a month like my old job.... i dont see how the system can screw me like this

Isis1

well i got hurt 2 years ago at an old job, i was on workers comp for like a year and that wasnt enuff to survive so i started this job which was an easy job and making good money so i figured i could do it, well after a few months the manager called me and told me I was let go, i was in the er the day before they fired me due to my back acting up. the position i was working was a position where someone had to "man station" at all times and me calling out here and there due to my back wasnt making them happy.

so when i was let go my lawyer advised me to file for disability because it became apparent that evena simple job i was unable to do due to my disability. 3 months later my ex had me in domestics and now they want me to pay 900+ when i dont make anything right now because im in the process of waiting for my claim for ssd.

i dunno what i can do at this point.. i cant pay 900 a month for support theres no way, i cant get a job thats gonna pay me 3000 a month like my old job.... i dont see how the system can screw me like this
so when you were let go, did you file a motion with the court for a support modification based on losing your job surrounding your disability? and did you file for unemployment as well?

Proserpina

so when you were let go, did you file a motion with the court for a support modification based on losing your job surrounding your disability? and did you file for unemployment as well?

Isis, he can't have it both ways.

He's either eligible for UI - in which case he's available and able to work - or he's disabled.

The court will see it the same way. He's either disabled or he isn't.

(As an aside, a patient filing for SSDI based on a disk injury who has not yet explored every available treatment option is not likely to be approved)

Justrights

i was fired before this decision, i was fired in JUNE, I went to court in Early OCT

i was unemployed for 3+ months before the mediation date

Isis1

Isis, he can't have it both ways.

He's either eligible for UI - in which case he's available and able to work - or he's disabled.

The court will see it the same way. He's either disabled or he isn't.

(As an aside, a patient filing for SSDI based on a disk injury who has not yet explored every available treatment option is not likely to be approved)
honestly, i was thinking in terms of a paper trail. not actually approval. it's a third party report of involuntary termination. that is where i was going with that. :)

so. OP, did this go before the judge?

Justrights

so. OP, did this go before the judge?
no it was a person in an office, people tell me its the mediation before a judge, they make a decision and if you dont like the decision then you appeal before a judge

im just trying to figure out what to expect infront of a judge if i gave this mediator all this proof i have no income how he used my old income to come up with a figure for me to pay

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">