• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help stopping child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D. Craig

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX.
I live in Texas. My daughter lives in Washington St. were the child support order was issued. She will be 19 in two weeks and I am still paying child support. My ex-wife modified the support order herself in 2000. It states I am to continue paying child support as long as she is living at home and being supported by her mother. My daughter has a job and lives in a double income family. I am the only income provider for a family of three. How do I go about getting child support stopped.

How did your ex "modify the court order herself? Did you go to court or do a stipulation and have it signed by a judge? Or did she just decide to tell you how it was going to be one day? That seems very vague.. as your daughter could be 30 and still living at home... "supported" by mom.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX.
I live in Texas. My daughter lives in Washington St. were the child support order was issued. She will be 19 in two weeks and I am still paying child support. My ex-wife modified the support order herself in 2000. It states I am to continue paying child support as long as she is living at home and being supported by her mother. My daughter has a job and lives in a double income family. I am the only income provider for a family of three. How do I go about getting child support stopped.
Tell us what the order says about support. Word for word (but without the names). I'm sure that it doesn't say that you have to pay CS as long as the child is living at home - the child could live at home until she's 30.

Your ex could not have modified the order herself. Either you agree to a change or your ex convinced the court to make a change. No one can unilaterally change their own court order.

nextwife

I'm sure that it doesn't say that you have to pay CS as long as the child is living at home - the child could live at home until she's 30.
30? Heck, I'm handling foreclosures where their adult kids (not mentally challenged adults) are still being supported by their parent at 40, 50, and 60.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">