• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need information about child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phinsfan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

My fiance and I are separated at this time. We are attempting to handle things in a civil manner until we decide if we would like to get back together or split for good. I have been going above and beyond to help her and the kids out. We have decided that I should write her checks so there is proof of support before it is filed in court. I have used calculators to figure out a fair amount and we agreed upon it. My question is about her first child and if it relates to the case. She has a daughter to a father that was not named on the birth certificate. Trust me her daughter is better off not knowing this guy and that is all I will say on that subject. What I would like to know is can she file for child support for our son if she has never attempted to get any support from the first father? Does it change the amount I owe to her in any way? We are going to file for joint custody of our son and she has told me she still wants me to be a father to her older daughter. I am not sure that I can do that because I did not adopt her. I want to do right by my son, but I was left with a lot to take care of on my own. Just curious if any of this matters or not and I haven’t been able to find an answer. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

My fiance and I are separated at this time. We are attempting to handle things in a civil manner until we decide if we would like to get back together or split for good. I have been going above and beyond to help her and the kids out. We have decided that I should write her checks so there is proof of support before it is filed in court. I have used calculators to figure out a fair amount and we agreed upon it. My question is about her first child and if it relates to the case. She has a daughter to a father that was not named on the birth certificate. Trust me her daughter is better off not knowing this guy and that is all I will say on that subject. What I would like to know is can she file for child support for our son if she has never attempted to get any support from the first father? Does it change the amount I owe to her in any way? We are going to file for joint custody of our son and she has told me she still wants me to be a father to her older daughter. I am not sure that I can do that because I did not adopt her. I want to do right by my son, but I was left with a lot to take care of on my own. Just curious if any of this matters or not and I haven’t been able to find an answer. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Get a court order - because there's a decent chance that your checks are considered "gifts". Court orders protect all of you.

You are not responsible for her daughter.

Phinsfan

Get a court order - because there's a decent chance that your checks are considered "gifts". Court orders protect all of you.

You are not responsible for her daughter.

I know I am not responsible for her daughter. I just wondered if she had to file for support from her father before getting it from me. We are working on keeping our family together right now and thought checks would be proof that I was paying her. We don't want to go to court until we are sure it is not going to work out. We have agreed to get a custody paper written and filed with the court without fighting and paying a bunch of lawyer fees

CJane

She is under no obligation to file for child support from any past of future fathers of her children in order to file for child support from you. It just doesn't work that way.

Indiana has a pretty extensive standard parenting time guideline, and fairly substantial credits to child support based on each parent's time with the child. You'll want to look those over before filing an "agreement" with the court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">