• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need some help..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NYconfusion

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NY

Ok, I have a few questions so please bear with me. :p My husband's ex-wife told him YEARS ago that she had gotten CHIP for their two boys (whom she has physical custody of) and that his 50% of medical bills from then on out would be minimal if at all. Ok, great so 4 years go by and not a single medical bill has come our way. He still pays his regular support on time and they have spoken numerous times and she has not mentioned anything about any medical bills. Fast forward to yesterday. The mail man brings a certified package. Inside this package is a stack of medical bills dating back to 2001. :eek: My husband's 50% is over 4K. And, she would like a committment of $150/month and must have a response by 2/15. Here are my questions:

1. When it states in a divorce/custody/support agreement that my husband is responsible for 50% of unreimbursed medical bills, does that include dental? And, by "unreimbursed" does that mean what insurance does not cover or what she pays? The reason I ask that is because one of the bills was one that she had let go to collection before she told us about CHIP. She had given the collection agency our number and they called us several times. So, if he were to pay her that money I know she would just pocket it instead of paying the bill. She did not include receipts showing that she had paid anything on any of these statements, so....? :(

2. Is there something that can be done to make sure that she gives us bills as they come and not lump years together like that? I am aware and fine with the fact that my husband is responsible for his kids, but it gets difficult when she sends a stack like that and the lump sum is so big. :(

Any help you all could give me would be greatly appreciated. tia

NYconfusion said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NY

Ok, I have a few questions so please bear with me. :p My husband's ex-wife told him YEARS ago that she had gotten CHIP for their two boys (whom she has physical custody of) and that his 50% of medical bills from then on out would be minimal if at all. Ok, great so 4 years go by and not a single medical bill has come our way. He still pays his regular support on time and they have spoken numerous times and she has not mentioned anything about any medical bills. Fast forward to yesterday. The mail man brings a certified package. Inside this package is a stack of medical bills dating back to 2001. :eek: My husband's 50% is over 4K. And, she would like a committment of $150/month and must have a response by 2/15. Here are my questions:

1. When it states in a divorce/custody/support agreement that my husband is responsible for 50% of unreimbursed medical bills, does that include dental? And, by "unreimbursed" does that mean what insurance does not cover or what she pays? The reason I ask that is because one of the bills was one that she had let go to collection before she told us about CHIP. She had given the collection agency our number and they called us several times. So, if he were to pay her that money I know she would just pocket it instead of paying the bill. She did not include receipts showing that she had paid anything on any of these statements, so....? :(

2. Is there something that can be done to make sure that she gives us bills as they come and not lump years together like that? I am aware and fine with the fact that my husband is responsible for his kids, but it gets difficult when she sends a stack like that and the lump sum is so big. :(

In most cases medical does include dental....It is 50% of what is not covered by insurance so if you had a $10 copay your husband would have to pay $5...If you had a procedure done and the total cost was $500 out of pocket the NCP would be responsible for $250. Most parenting agreements have a stipulation that says CP will give NCP receipts of costs incured within 7 days of payment of the bill and then NCP has 7 days to pay his/her 50% of it....(this is what mine states but I had to ask for it to be specific) Basically she pays it and he pays it back to her.......If she is not paying the bills and you can prove it... the judge may make your husband pay his half of the bills directly to the provider after receiving the bill? Either way he is responsible for half......

Phnx02

NYconfusion said:

Witholding medical bills for reimbursement for 4 years is ridiculous! It's 50/50 what a judge may decide on this. He/she may give her a slap on the wrist for such incompetence but still order your husband to pay 1/2. Or he may give her a kick in the butt and forgive your husband for his 1/2 since she took so long to send the bills.

Uninsured medical bills does include dental. It also includes any kind of behavioral/pychological bills such as counseling services. Your husband is responsible for 50% of all uninsured billable expenses - not half of what her 50% is. If these bills have already gone into collections - and they're under her name - then that's her problem. You should still send her your 1/2 but keep copies of all returned checks to later prove that you paid. It is then out of your hands. You paid what you were supposed to.....whether or not she just pocketed the money.

NYconfusion

Thank you

Thank you so much for responding. Do any of you know if it is common practice for medical bills to be regulated through domestic relations? Or is it normal for custodial parents to just send them to the non custodial parent and keep it out of the offices? Also, she never sends actual receipts or statements from the doctor/dentist office. Just explanation of benefits from her insurance company. Is that ok?

haiku

woah! I think you may want to consider going back to court ot clarify, and possibly dispute the validity of these claims. Being as the state insurance may? could/should? cover these claims.

You should really modify, to demand more timely notification of the childrens medical bills.

A 4000 chunk is really over the top, and a judge may or may not rule in your favor at that point depending on other factors involved.

My husband had to pay 7000 dollars in unpaid medical that his ex was supposed to pay half of. So I feel your pain. it was affecting the kids abilityto go to thier doctor and landed on my husbands credit report.

his court order now reads like this.

"parents each responsible for 50% uninsured medical and dental.

the parent who incurs treatment must give the other parent the BILL within 30 days of treatment, or they will be responsible for payment in full.

The parents will each pay the provider thier half directly.

A parent who goes to a doctor not covered by insurance, if there is a doctor available under the insurance plan will pay the entire bill incurred.

Also check your state guidelines, in my state the custodial parent is responsible for the first 100 dollars in uninsured medical cost per child per year.

NYconfusion

Thanks again Haiku. I really just need to know what we are up against. My husband is not trying to get out of anything, but I just really feel that she is trying to pull a fast one. :mad:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">