• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need to Vent - Any advice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mandik

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

Does anyone else have a situation like this? I really need advice.

BF's son (10) could not find his hat, and repeatedly said “my mom is going to kill me.”

BF's son could not find his shoes that he was told to bring back to his moms when we were at the hotel. He became very upset and cried, he said that he HAD to bring them back or his mom and step dad would be very mad and they will “kill” him.

BF's son became very upset because he said he needed to wear “dad's” clothes to go rollerblading. He insisted on changing into different pants so he would not rip or damage his “moms” pants. I tried to say that they were almost identical, and he shouldn’t have to worry about his clothes. He insisted and said he would be in so much trouble if he didn’t.

The children said that they have a separate area that they have to put their things from their dad’s house.

Children are told that the money that dad sends is being put into a college fund. They are always worried about money. They are told that they cannot get different kinds of food because it costs too much.

At the end of visits, the children suddenly get upset if they cannot find certain articles of clothing that they are instructed to bring back.

They do not get milk at school because “it is too expensive.”

Mother has instructed daughter to wear clothes that she (mom) does not like to her dad’s and leave them there. She said to wear something different back to her house.

Daughter was instructed to call dad and make sure that her dad brings a certain pair of jeans when we go for a visit. Her mom dialed the phone for her because she does not know our phone # (she's 8) She said her mom “really needs them back.” This was one of the only times that she has ever called her dad. This was last night.

On several occasions, BF's son is sent with a t-shirt in winter, and leaves the t-shirt and wears a sweater or long sleeve shirt back to his moms. I think she intentially makes them wear t shirts.

On a few occasions, we have sent extra clothes with them to their moms. Theses clothes were never sent back. The point is not that we are worried about which clothes are where, the issue is that they are not playing fair, they are stressing the kids out, and trying to make their dad look bad.

Daughter said that they have to wear the clothes that her mom picks out when she goes to her dad’s.

The children said that there is “no time” to call their dad. When the children are at our house, we let them call their mom whenever they ask, and do not interrupt their calls. Their mom is CONSTANTLY talking to them when we call.
We called to talk to them last night and their step dad said "you have two and a half Minutes." They kept interupting and saying it was bed time. (it wasn't)

Their new step dad is extremelly antaganistic and the mother will not speak to my BF. She wants her husband to do it. They are always putting the kids in the middle. His son gets extremelly upset about this.

We NEVER talk bad about their mom or Step dad. They told the kids that their mom does not want to talk to their dad, so she has step dad do it. We can tell that she doesnt write the letters, step dad does.

He is paying over 700 a month support. Is this INSAINE????? They are being told they don't have enough money ALL of the time.
Should any of this come up in a child support hearing, or is it too petty?

If anyone has had a situation like this and has any advice, I could really use some. My boyfriend and I are very upset.

Silverplum

Yes, I have advice. Let it go.

The clothing issue is one that will receive at least dozen replies, I'm sure. One would think, as a reasonable person, that when the NCP pays CS, the CP uses it to buy clothes, among other things. One would also think that adequate and appropriate clothing could be sent along to the NCP so that s/he doesn't have to provide an entire wardrobe for kid/s that the NCP is *allowed* to see twice per month, on top of paying CS.

This is not so. CPs and NCPs use the clothing issue against each other like you would not believe. And, as you have witnessed, the kids lose.

Go to a thrift store and buy what the kids need at your house. Don't send clothes to the CP house if you ever want to see those clothes at your house again. Don't spend a lot of money on weekend clothing.

Most importantly, DON'T let this get to you. Let it go, write it off as the CP being a beast, make the kid/s feel secure in the issues you can control.

It's not gonna fly in court. Too petty, as you thought.

The issue of the stepdad interfering in phone conversations might be legally valid, particularly if the court orders include phone contact. Do you have any specifics on that?

mandik

Thank you for the reply. I am just really worked up because it just happened last night. I do believe there is something about phone calls in the order. I will need to check with him. I think that they are acting this way to get a reaction. We are trying super hard to not react, especially in front of the kids. It's also awful to not be able to defend ourselves, because we refuse to talk bad about them.
About the thrift stores...it's not that we don't expect to buy clothing. We will just buy it. It's that she is so obsessed with putting the kids in the middle.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I have to be honest - we have a general rule that "if it's something you wear to school - it needs to come home." I don't care if it comes home clean or dirty - but I do want it here. Why? 'Cause we've had the experience where they go to Dad's in clothes that are school appropriate, and come home in stuff that isn't. Either too small, too big, that the kids hates and refuses to wear again, etc. The times when they've been asked to bring dress clothes - no problem - but bring 'em home. It makes absolutely no sense for me to have to buy extra dress slacks, shirt, tie, shoes for a kid who only needs them sporadically until they're outgrown.

BelizeBreeze

Aside from the clothes issue the only thing I would advise is for your boyfriend to grow some cajones. If his ex tells him to speak with her new husband he needs to tell her no. PERIOD.

If she continues to insist he needs to file a petition to amend the custody order and stipulate NO THIRD-PARTY interference. PERIOD.

It's time daddy grew some cajones. Neither you nor the new step-father have any legal standing where the children are concerned. And step-pappy needs to know that now.

gphjr

Stealth that is all well and good but If you read the post correctly they are sending good clothes back home with the children and are not getting them back. The kids are coming back with T-shirts in the winter. What do you say to that? do they then become the a**hole the CP is and demand that thier clothes are returned or do they turn the other cheek and get smacked again?

gphjr

BelizeBreeze said:
Aside from the clothes issue the only thing I would advise is for your boyfriend to grow some cajones. If his ex tells him to speak with her new husband he needs to tell her no. PERIOD.

If she continues to insist he needs to file a petition to amend the custody order and stipulate NO THIRD-PARTY interference. PERIOD.

It's time daddy grew some cajones. Neither you nor the new step-father have any legal standing where the children are concerned. And step-pappy needs to know that now.

You took the words right off of my keyboard

Silverplum

You ask nicely. Then turn the other cheek. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Your X will always remind you of WHY you divorced them! :rolleyes:

jacknjill

Silverplum said:
Yes, I have advice. Let it go.

The clothing issue is one that will receive at least dozen replies, I'm sure. One would think, as a reasonable person, that when the NCP pays CS, the CP uses it to buy clothes, among other things. One would also think that adequate and appropriate clothing could be sent along to the NCP so that s/he doesn't have to provide an entire wardrobe for kid/s that the NCP is *allowed* to see twice per month, on top of paying CS.

This is not so. CPs and NCPs use the clothing issue against each other like you would not believe. And, as you have witnessed, the kids lose.

Go to a thrift store and buy what the kids need at your house. Don't send clothes to the CP house if you ever want to see those clothes at your house again. Don't spend a lot of money on weekend clothing.

Most importantly, DON'T let this get to you. Let it go, write it off as the CP being a beast, make the kid/s feel secure in the issues you can control.

It's not gonna fly in court. Too petty, as you thought.

The issue of the stepdad interfering in phone conversations might be legally valid, particularly if the court orders include phone contact. Do you have any specifics on that?
Agree with everyone, let it go...we've experience this exact situation. Attorney said let it go, so we did....just love your stepkids the best you can, they will see who really loves them and who doesn't. Just keep giving them a "safe" place to be, where they can express their dreams and desires. someplace where they can talk freely without feeling inadequate...the clothes issue is not a battle you will win in court, he said/she said... Save the important battles for court....Judges don't tolerate this behavior by either party and don't like their courts boggled down. The children sound young...do they pack themselves there and at their mom's??...Maybe it's an issue that mom won't pack for them...Maybe they need to be taught how to take care of their own belongings when traveling back and forth.... as far as the stepdad...other than telling him to kiss is @$$, keep documentation on communications with him....keep a diary if you must. You may be able to use it later in court.

I'm a stepmom too....

take care,

mandik

jacknjill.
The kids do not pack anything. They have never come with a suitcase, or anything. It is the opposite with the nice clothes. She picks out clothes she doesnt like and tells them to leave it at their dads and wear something else. She has told them speciifically not to bring it back because she doesnt like it. I think they will catch on and realize what a freak show they are. We are planning on moving to their town within a year. He needs to finish training for his job. The sad thing is that he is the best dad, and really, really loves them. He can't stand it that he sees them so little.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
gphjr said:
Stealth that is all well and good but If you read the post correctly they are sending good clothes back home with the children and are not getting them back. The kids are coming back with T-shirts in the winter. What do you say to that? do they then become the a**hole the CP is and demand that thier clothes are returned or do they turn the other cheek and get smacked again?
Darlin' - it's NOT the opposite. I went through the exact same thing - and I made the KIDS responsible. Not in a way to make them upset. But they know that their Dad will not return anything left there, be it clothes, games, school work/books, library books, etc. I can't tell you the number of books I've had to replace for school/library because it's gone to Dad's and been forgotten there. I'm sorry - if the kids cannot be responsible to bring it back, it doesn't go. I can't afford it.

So yes, you send the kids back wearing what they came in. That's nonnegotiable. Set it all aside when they come and then send them back with it.

jacknjill

mandik said:
jacknjill.
The kids do not pack anything. They have never come with a suitcase, or anything. It is the opposite with the nice clothes. She picks out clothes she doesnt like and tells them to leave it at their dads and wear something else. She has told them speciifically not to bring it back because she doesnt like it. I think they will catch on and realize what a freak show they are. We are planning on moving to their town within a year. He needs to finish training for his job. The sad thing is that he is the best dad, and really, really loves them. He can't stand it that he sees them so little.
I totally understand your concern and am with you on this one....we had the same exact problem as you. We started sending them with a backpack with clothes, at least it was a start...They packed what they could back...When the mother interferred and stopped them, we waited her out....She will give up that battle if you don't show it bothers you....AT some point, those kids are going to want to bring their clothes back and forth and they will be older enough to speak for themselves...Just wait her out... My 16 year old uses a backpack to shuffle cloths to and fro...my 9 year old doesn't care to..

Be the best parents you can be....You can't undo the mother's behavior...just fight it with love toward the children. They will grow up and appreciate it..

panzertanker

As a divorced father (me), Stealth has it right...
Take them out of the clothes they came in when they get to your house, let them wear "your" wardrobe while with you, then put them back in the original clothes just before drop off/pick up.
Make the kids have some ownership too, Dad needs to say "I have/will continue to have plenty of clothes for you here, and your mother has plenty of clothes for you there. All clothes (games, books, etc.), stay at the respective house."
Let it go, too. Life is too short, "THE END IS NEAR!!!" (if you believe that crap), and the kids just need love and encouragement- not petty arguing.
Make it clear the things in each house are seperate.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">