• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

never married child almost 18

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dadinoc

What is the name of your state? California....My daughter who I am paying support for lives in Oregon.I was never married to her mother.My daughter will be turning 18 in a few months.She just had a baby and is thinking of dropping out of high school.If she drops out and goes back next year to get her diploma do I have to still pay?I know I have to pay if she decides to go to colleage.

Shawna

dadinoc said:
What is the name of your state? California....My daughter who I am paying support for lives in Oregon.I was never married to her mother.My daughter will be turning 18 in a few months.She just had a baby and is thinking of dropping out of high school.If she drops out and goes back next year to get her diploma do I have to still pay?I know I have to pay if she decides to go to colleage.
Isn't school almost over? What does your child support order say?

dadinoc

Yes, school is almost over but since she had a child she missed alot of school and may not graduate.My support order does not say anything about dropping out of high school or not graduating and returning next year.

Shawna

dadinoc said:
Yes, school is almost over but since she had a child she missed alot of school and may not graduate.My support order does not say anything about dropping out of high school or not graduating and returning next year.
I believe in most states you will have to pay until she graduates from high school. Under these circumstances, I would say yes you still have to pay. She still needs to eat. Would you be asking this if something else happened to her where she missed a lot of days of school and wouldn't graduate this year? Maybe someone else can chime in here and let you know, but I think it's pretty awful that you are wondering about if you need to pay because she just had your grandchild and she will have go go back to school next year.

BelizeBreeze

Child support must be paid until the child becomes 18, unless the child has not graduated from high school, in which case the child support continues until the child has graduated high school or becomes 19, which ever occurs first. Presently, the law doe s not give judges the power to make a parent support a child beyond the age of 19, unless the child is physically or mentally disabled. However, the parents can agree that child support is to continue into the college years, and such an agreement will be enforced by the Family Law Court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">