• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Commer Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tony812

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Indiana (Daughter is in TX).

I apologize if these questions have been asked before, as I bet they have. However, there were hundreds of threads for me to skim through and I am unable to commit the necessary time. Please do not take this as: 'the subject is unimportant to me', it is! I thought I was going to leave it to an attorney, I had every intention of securing a lawyer and recently ran into $$ issues(court approaches quickly - too quickly). I will be going about this alone. I am currently doing as much research on my own as I can - reading the thousands of messages here too. But, if anyone can point me to some websites which would help prep me for court I would be greatful. I am not expecting anyone to hold my hand nor do I request anyone assist me with a half-ass law degree. I am 25 and this will have a major impact on the rest of my life. I need to do the best I can and be as informed as possible! Paternity has not yet been established(few weeks). As mentioned the mother and daughter are in TX, I am in Indiana. I am interested in knowing how to prepare, what should I expect are there any important documents I should be aware of and file - know a good book or two on the topic for me to read? Anything at all would be welcomed with BIG OPEN ARMS!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Dude. Cut the blah blah blah about why you're going to be representing yourself and how important a situation it is, etc and just give us the facts. I got half way through and only had the blah blah blah, so I quit reading. I doubt I'm the only one.

MtnMoon

stealth2 said:
Dude. Cut the blah blah blah about why you're going to be representing yourself and how important a situation it is, etc and just give us the facts. I got half way through and only had the blah blah blah, so I quit reading. I doubt I'm the only one.
Well it appears somebody didn't get enough foam in the morning latte'... LOL... You crack me up! :)

<~~~~~~going over there to fix another latte' with plenty of foam! ;)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Don't give me no stinkin' latte. Espresso, triple. Wait - it's after noon. Add a glug of kahlua.

Silverplum

MtnMoon, you and I may be here in "laid back Colorado," but we would be wise to remember that Ms. Stealth is in NEW JERSEY...and she takes no guff...and no latte, apparently!
:D

And on topic:
Tony. Tony, Tony, Tony. If this is so important to you, you HAVE to do your research! Don't write a book telling us how you don't have time, just do the research.

Is the court case in TX? If so, learn TX law. That's the only law that applies to your case.

And we don't even know what you need/want to prepare FOR.

Dangit, I've ended a sentence with a preposition...in public! :eek:

ENASNI

Uh oh

Plum... you are gonna have to do what I do... punish yourself with a donut.

What the heck to you want to know Tony...?
Jeesh.. I am not a dentist and I do not play one on TV.

(OH and no one tell my dentist about the donuts... okay...our little secret)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Here's a hint Tony - you didn't even tell us what it is you're trying to achieve. So how do you expect anyone to tell you what you need to do to prepare? Instead, you gave us the blah blah.

Silverplum

A chocolate donut?
sigh...
I've already eaten one!

(Oh, and BTW, I noticed right away that ENASNI was INSANE spelled backwards. But I like puzzles/word games and notice stuff like that. Good name - this entire business of failed relationships is insane!)

Tony812

It seems I offended, confused or disrespected quite a few people. This was not my intention of posting here. Please allow me to start again and be more direct.
The reason I posted here is not to have others do my research for me, I thought I stated that in my "book". I am doing my own research. For instance - I know more today than I did the other day. I was hoping to find others who understand, have been involved with or personally know others who have been involved in similar circumstances. Based on this past knowledge I was seeking a tad of guidance, a bit of help and some general information.

Allow me to be less vague(and more direct):

I am involved in a child support/custody case pro per se. I live in Indiana she & my daughter reside in Texas. My Objective: I am seeking to pay a fair amount of monthly support. I am seeking 2 weeks of parentiny time(visitation?) on a annual basis.

Although answers to all the questions are not necessary the more, the more helpful - the better prepared I would be(the more greatful). If you feel it is too time consuming poing me in a general direction where to find the answers

1) Have you been involved in similar circumstances? If so where did you obtain the majority of your information?
2) Are there any other forums that you may reccomend?
3) What type of paper work do I need to file to obtain her GMI?
4) If she is not working living with rich parents can their GMI be used?
5) Have you ever read an article, ebook, .pdf file or webpage you feel provided good information for a person preparing for childsupport/custody hearing - what was the name?
6) Other than obtaining my ex's GMI are there any other important documents I should prepare or be aware of prior to court? If there are several what are the top 3?
7) How could a prosecutor attempt to take advantage of a pro per se client?
8) If I had a fairly well documented mental illness that made it difficult for me to hold a stable job should this be brought up to the court - would it factor it? If so any advice on how to present it?

Thank you!

Tony S
Indiana

LdiJ

Tony812 said:
It seems I offended, confused or disrespected quite a few people. This was not my intention of posting here. Please allow me to start again and be more direct.
The reason I posted here is not to have others do my research for me, I thought I stated that in my "book". I am doing my own research. For instance - I know more today than I did the other day. I was hoping to find others who understand, have been involved with or personally know others who have been involved in similar circumstances. Based on this past knowledge I was seeking a tad of guidance, a bit of help and some general information.

Allow me to be less vague(and more direct):

I am involved in a child support/custody case pro per se. I live in Indiana she & my daughter reside in Texas. My Objective: I am seeking to pay a fair amount of monthly support. I am seeking 2 weeks of parentiny time(visitation?) on a annual basis.

Although answers to all the questions are not necessary the more, the more helpful - the better prepared I would be(the more greatful). If you feel it is too time consuming poing me in a general direction where to find the answers

1) Have you been involved in similar circumstances? If so where did you obtain the majority of your information?
2) Are there any other forums that you may reccomend?
3) What type of paper work do I need to file to obtain her GMI?
4) If she is not working living with rich parents can their GMI be used?
5) Have you ever read an article, ebook, .pdf file or webpage you feel provided good information for a person preparing for childsupport/custody hearing - what was the name?
6) Other than obtaining my ex's GMI are there any other important documents I should prepare or be aware of prior to court? If there are several what are the top 3?
7) How could a prosecutor attempt to take advantage of a pro per se client?
8) If I had a fairly well documented mental illness that made it difficult for me to hold a stable job should this be brought up to the court - would it factor it? If so any advice on how to present it?

Thank you!

Tony S
Indiana
Ok...I am going to assume that your child is an infant since you are just now getting hit for child support.

Visitation with an infant isn't as simple as "two weeks a year". You have to get to know the child, in the child's environment, before a judge is just going to turn the child over to you for "alone time". On top of that, the child is never going to get accustomed to you if you plan to see the child only once a year. You should ask for visitation in the child's community, as often as you can afford to go there, so that the child can get to know you. Eventually, you should be able to get every other Thanksgiving, One week at Christmas, Every other or every Spring Break, and 1/2 or more of the summer. However that is NOT going to happen until you are a familiar figure to the child. Here is what the Indiana Parenting Time Guidelines say regarding long distance visitation:

(A) Child Under 3 Years Of Age. For a child under 3 years of age, the noncustodial parent shall have the option to exercise parenting time, in the community of the custodial parent, up to two five hour periods each week. The five hour period may occur on Saturday and Sunday on alternate weekends only.

(B) Child 3 and 4 Years of Age. For a child 3 and 4 years of age, up to six (6) one week segments annually, each separated by at least (6) weeks. Including the pickup and return of the child, no segment shall exceed eight (8) days.

(C) Child 5 Years of Age and Older. For a child 5 years of age and older, seven (7) weeks of the school summer vacation period and seven (7) days of the school winter vacation plus the entire spring break, including both weekends if applicable. Such parenting time, however, shall be arranged so that the custodial parent shall have religious holidays, if celebrated, in alternate years.

No, the grandparent's income WILL NOT be taken into consideration for child support purposes. However you can ask that an income be imputed to the mother based on what she could realistically be earning if she was working.

I can't see any advantage to you in convincing a court that you have a mental illness that would significantly impair your ability to support the child. All that kind of proof would do is possibly ensure that you NEVER get unsupervised visitation with the child....sigh.

You REALLY need an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">