• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

new job and child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stuckinohio

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
My husband of ten years and I are trying to do an amicable dissolution in order to save money on attorney/court fees. We have agreed on almost everything but have reached a sticking point. He moved 3 hours away (to Michigan) in February and took a job making $75,000. His previous job paid $42,000. He has given me his W2 for his wages last year but refuses to give me a pay stub at his new job. He says that his child support should be calculated on his last three years W2s, not his current salary. Any advice or information? We have agreed that I will have sole physical custody and we will have joint legal. He will have visitation with her one weekend per month.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
My husband of ten years and I are trying to do an amicable dissolution in order to save money on attorney/court fees. We have agreed on almost everything but have reached a sticking point. He moved 3 hours away (to Michigan) in February and took a job making $75,000. His previous job paid $42,000. He has given me his W2 for his wages last year but refuses to give me a pay stub at his new job. He says that his child support should be calculated on his last three years W2s, not his current salary. Any advice or information? We have agreed that I will have sole physical custody and we will have joint legal. He will have visitation with her one weekend per month.
You will likely need to have the court order that he present his current wage information. I suspect that this will no longer be an amicable dissolution.

stuckinohio

You will likely need to have the court order that he present his current wage information. I suspect that this will no longer be an amicable dissolution.
Yes, that is what I am afraid of. We've worked so hard to come to an agreement on finances, parenting, etc... I hate to see all that wasted and become a huge court battle. I'm okay with the calculation being based on his previous salary, if that is what the law dictates. He believes that the support is calculated with W2s and from what I've read online, it looks like current salary trumps last year's salary?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Child support is based on current salary. Depending on what county you are in, the local rules may mandate exchanging pay stubs.

CJane

You *could let it go, and in a few years, ask that the state review the obligations of both parties and determine if the ordered amount should be changed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">