• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New to this process... and CONFUSED!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Msti2k2

Father (Alaska & Military- Army)
Mother (Tennessee)

I have a 4 year old daughter with an active duty Army soldier. He has been in for 7 years (so what would his rank be??) . We had a relationship when we were younger, and ending up breaking up when he joined the military. The following year I got married to someone else because I got pregnant, though always was in love with Army guy. 2 years later Army guy and I briefly rekindled our relationship on a visit that I made to where he was stationed. I was separated, but not legally divorced. I became pregnant with Army guy's child. He offered to pay for an abortion, and privately acknowledged to me that it was his child. When I decided to keep the child, he cussed me out, would not return calls or letters, and never spoke to me for the longest time. I was devastated and my "legal" husband wanted to work things out. Knowing that the unborn child was not his, husband put his name on the birth certificate and treated child as his own. Shortly after the birth however, we separated again and have been separated ever since. Husband and I now live in separate states. The distance, cost, and legal confusion has been the sole reason that we have not yet gotten a legal divorce. A year after the baby was born, Army guy acknowledged her and apologized for the way he had acted. I never pushed him for child support, and never asked him for a dime. I always told him that he could see the child whenever he wanted. Over the 4 years that she has been alive, he has sent a total of $900 which was for various occassions, a birthday here, Xmas there, etc. He has seen her for a cumulative total of 10 hours out of the past 4 years. Anyway, for so long I was too proud to ask for help from him. I always hoped he may come around, and be a real father. But as she gets older I realize time is just slipping away, and his attitude towards all of this has been pretty apparant. Besides being too "proud", I never opened a case for child support to protect him. Afterall, he did father a child with me while I was legally married. I know that is a punishable offense in the military.

So anyway, Fast Forward to now. Enough time has passed that I feel it is okay to pursue child support. And I guess it is time for me to stop being so proud and stubborn and think of the child. As she gets older, there are more things that she needs and wants. I have opened a case here in TN. They have located him in the military and gave him 90 days to respond to a paternity request. He never responded, so I go to court in April.
I am curious as to how long it will take from that to start receiving money, and will the amount be determined on my court date?

Also, another Army friend of mine was in the same situation with a woman he had fathered a baby with 5 years earlier. He did not know the baby existed until the child support paternity request came. Long story short, she ended up getting 5 years of back support. He says it was for the BAH he could have been claiming all that time, but never did- he always claimed himself as "single" and live on base.
Can someone explain to me how that happened, and since the father of my child KNEW about the baby all that time, is this something I would be able to pursue?

Msti2k2

Thanks Veronica, here is another question

Veronica.... what if we were married in Alaska, and the child has an Alaska birth certificate? I just moved to TN a few months ago. Does everything go by Alaska laws (where it all occurred) or TN laws (where case was opened)?

Also, what would happen in the event that the bio father wanted legal rights to the child? I know he hasnt seen her in years, BUT at the same time he does say she is his daughter. He is getting ready to be stationed ina neighboring state and may decide he wants to start visiting (he had been stationed in Germany up until this point). I dont know if this would happen, but legally, what would his rights be as the known bio dad, even if someone else were on the birth certificate?

Thanks for your reply!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">