• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New wife and child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky

What is the name of your state? Washington State

I have a son with an ex-girlfriend he is now 5. I'm planning on getting married
this summer. My fiancee has a 14 yr old girl.

Question: Do I still pay the same amount in child support to my son or since
I will have a new dependent (by marriage) will/can my child support be reduced?

Oh, one more thing.

She (the ex-gfriend) works at and lives in a hotel for free. Free rent/water/cable/elec./
heat/ phone. I pay $350 a month and he comes over in ragged clothes and she has even
stated that I pay for his and HER food. If her bills aren't that much to support my son then
shouldn't I pay less? It seems to me that since she doesn't work full-time I am
in reality paying for all HER bills.

I don't know if I'm just being realistic (in my own mind) but if I pay $350 and she's suppose
to (in fairness) use some of her money to support him then lets say he gets a total of $450 a month for his needs. Well, you can't take out for rent and utilities since there is none. Can she use the money for what ever or can I have her show receipts for stuff purchased for him? He (my son), just got a brand new big screen T.V. and a computer. While I struggle month to month.

Is there something I can do to make supporting my son a little more fair?

momofrose

Your child support will remain the same. The fact that you have married does not do a thing to your child support and the 24 year old girl is NOT your legal daughter so you can not denote her as a dependant.

Let me ask you this - if your ex is living in a hotel for free (I assume a welfare hotel) and you have a more stable income- why don't you have or file for primary custody?

In the meantime - she does not need to produce any receipts or anything to you or anyone else regarding how she spends child support money. $350.00 is a very reasonable amount to pay for child support - You stated HE got a big screen tv and computer and your saying that money is not going to your son? Makes no sense.

D

BelizeBreeze

the answer is both YES and NO.

While the support calculator for Washington does not allow for third-party income or expenses, the question that needs to be answered first is was your ex's housing considered as income in the ORIGINAL order or has it been a recent occurrance?

I'm not a lawyer, but from experience with my kids, what you pay for support is not that much.

As far as her sending kid in what you call RAGS, maybe it's because if she sends him in good clothes that they never come back to her, just maybe I said. I'm not saying that is your case, but it was most definately mine.

And if the clothes I sent with my kids did come back they were ruined anyway, only because the Dad didn't care if he got them ruined!

You should have clothes at your house if this is a reoccurring thing. I would.

NotSoNew

your financee's child does not count as your dependant, that child is to be supported by its own mother and father.

momofrose said:
Your child support will remain the same. The fact that you have married does not do a thing to your child support and the 24 year old girl is NOT your legal daughter so you can not denote her as a dependant.

Let me ask you this - if your ex is living in a hotel for free (I assume a welfare hotel) and you have a more stable income- why don't you have or file for primary custody?

In the meantime - she does not need to produce any receipts or anything to you or anyone else regarding how she spends child support money. $350.00 is a very reasonable amount to pay for child support - You stated HE got a big screen tv and computer and your saying that money is not going to your son? Makes no sense.

D
BTW, please read a little more carefully......14 yr old, not 24 yearold daughter...living and WORKING in hotel, so they give her free board......

tylersmom

You sound like your more concerned about your new wife and HER child than you are your own child. You don't, however, seem concerned about whether or not your child is well cared for, just what the money is being spent on and whether you can pay less. You are eluding to the fact that your child may not be in the best environment and that she doesn't appear to be well cared for, yet you are only concerned about how much CS you have to pay. I don't mean to be rude, but you may want to get your priorities straight.

$350/month is more than fair. You aren't going to get out of that, especially not because your getting married. Your decision to take on the responsibility of another woman and her child has nothing to do with the responsibility you already have to your own child.

momofrose

txrose1998 said:
BTW, please read a little more carefully......14 yr old, not 24 yearold daughter...living and WORKING in hotel, so they give her free board......
24 was a type-o - but does not change the fact that this step-daughter will have not impact on child support calculations...

BB brought up a valid point about the housing - other than that - the answer remains the same - No change in Child Support

D

tylersmom said:
You sound like your more concerned about your new wife and HER child than you are your own child. You don't, however, seem concerned about whether or not your child is well cared for, just what the money is being spent on and whether you can pay less. You are eluding to the fact that your child may not be in the best environment and that she doesn't appear to be well cared for, yet you are only concerned about how much CS you have to pay. I don't mean to be rude, but you may want to get your priorities straight.

$350/month is more than fair. You aren't going to get out of that, especially not because your getting married. Your decision to take on the responsibility of another woman and her child has nothing to do with the responsibility you already have to your own child.
It seems as though once a divorce happens and the man takes on a new wife or GF a lot of men use the Out Of Sight Out Of Mind thing when it comes to their kids well being;however, that MIGHTY DOLLAR is NEVER OUT OF SIGHT no matter who is in their life.

Just my opinion from reading alot of the posts on here.

tylersmom

outragedMOM said:
It seems as though once a divorce happens and the man takes on a new wife or GF a lot of men use the Out Of Sight Out Of Mind thing when it comes to their kids well being;however, that MIGHTY DOLLAR is NEVER OUT OF SIGHT no matter who is in their life.

Just my opinion from reading alot of the posts on here.
Exactly. Even the title of his thread "New Wife and Child" says it all. I can understand new wife, but new child? It's not his kid! Worry about your "old child", if that's how you want to refer to the poor little guy. I can't help but get upset about these situations. This child is your flesh and blood, not just some financial burden that you can find a loophole out of! Step up to the plate and be a man. Stop worrying about what you want and remember that your little boy didn't ask to be in this situation. His needs should always come first.

AHA

Hmmmmmmm, shouldn't the 14 year old be supported by her mother AND her FATHER, not STEPfather????????

Even if she was the Queen of England with a very large salary, the father is still obligated to pay a portion for the CHILD, and that's called CHILD SUPPORT!!!!!!

Sky

I thought this was an advice website. Not yet, another biased website for man bashing.

Sounds like a lot of women on this site have been burned and this creates not advice
but bitter sarcasm and hatred.

If you didn't have advice or structured comments about this post you shouldn't have responded.

again, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">