• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In the news:

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

single317dad

While I agree that there are some problems in the CS system, I don't think it's nearly as dire as the author lets on. Getting rid of imputed wages? How would states that use a flat percentage even assess support then? 20% of $0?

The guy in the story made several mistakes: to start with, he didn't pay attention to what was happening with his paid support; he didn't address that error in a timely manner; he "didn't do all he could to pay", according to his brother; and, finally, he ran from police. A series of poor life choices led to his demise.

My own father paid about 30 child support payments during my childhood. All were paid immediately before or after court hearings which would determine whether he went to jail or not. If not for that threat, he never would have paid anything at all.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
If we're not going to impute income to an NCP who takes a lower paying job, then we shouldn't impute the CP who does the same (even if it is to quits to stay home. Good for the goose should be good for the gander.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">