• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

On the news Man pays CS even though DNA says he's not the father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/man-pays-for-child-support-despite-negative-dna-test/vi-AAa1Fm5

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/man-pays-for-child-support-despite-negative-dna-test/vi-AAa1Fm5

We've got loads of non-bio dads who are paying child support for a child who is biologically unrelated to him...

:confused:

BL

We've got loads of non-bio dads who are paying child support for a child who is biologically unrelated to him...

:confused:

Yep It all depends on what occurred during the relationship. For instance I doubted one a my Daughters was mine but willing to exceot her if we worked on our marriage. Plus we were legally married and she swore she was mine. She looks nothing like me and since throwing it in my face and saying i'm going to see my real Dad ,we do not talk. The mother however was ordered to produce her for visitation or serve 30 days.

It depends on the scenarios and laws of the State.

Last edited:

Astrolink

I read at one time that 1 in 5 that contest paternity are correct in doing so. This doesn't apply to the whole population, just those that contest.

With that said, what would stop a woman from taking a list of the 1000 richest men in America and listing them all as potential fathers? It's possible (maybe probable) some of these folks would ignore any legal correspondence thinking it was a some kind of joke, and become the parent by default and owing support.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Yep It all depends on what occurred during the relationship. For instance I doubted one a my Daughters was mine but willing to exceot her if we worked on our marriage. Plus we were legally married and she swore she was mine. She looks nothing like me and since throwing it in my face and saying i'm going to see my real Dad ,we do not talk. The mother however was ordered to produce her for visitation or serve 30 days.

It depends on the scenarios and laws of the State.
My youngest looks nothing like me. My oldest? Spitting image. His Dad could have contested it, I guess - would have been a waste of money.

Rule of thumb? Looks mean NOTHING.

Last edited:

Proserpina

I read at one time that 1 in 5 that contest paternity are correct in doing so. This doesn't apply to the whole population, just those that contest.

With that said, what would stop a woman from taking a list of the 1000 richest men in America and listing them all as potential fathers? It's possible (maybe probable) some of these folks would ignore any legal correspondence thinking it was a some kind of joke, and become the parent by default and owing support.

How often has that happened, exactly?

Astrolink

I'll assume it hasn't happened yet. As another hypothetical, what if the President was named as the father? My understanding of my state's laws is he would have to subject himself to a DNA test to prove he isn't.

LdiJ

I'll assume it hasn't happened yet. As another hypothetical, what if the President was named as the father? My understanding of my state's laws is he would have to subject himself to a DNA test to prove he isn't.
And if he knew he wasn't why wouldn't he want to clear it up ASAP?

I cannot imagine any rich or powerful man not wanting to immediately clear up that issue if it was patently untrue. I would be more suspicious if they played around with it.

I am not a man, but if I were I think my reaction would be, DNA test...RIGHT NOW.

Astrolink

My point is in many cases judge's hands are tied by statute when it comes to paternity. It seems if they had a little more leeway, some more common sense decisions could be made, especially in cases with unusual circumstances, like described earlier where the court has to subpoena 1000 folks.

Proserpina

Their highly paid attorneys would fix that before it was even discussed in court.

Given the tiny window in which conception can occur (I don't have to cover How To Make A Baby 101, do I? please tell me we can forego that part) , think about it....

single317dad

Their highly paid attorneys would fix that before it was even discussed in court.

Given the tiny window in which conception can occur (I don't have to cover How To Make A Baby 101, do I? please tell me we can forego that part) , think about it....
I tested out of all the 100s; can we just do an afternoon lecture?

Astrolink

I'll use another example. If a woman has had a child and is filling out the paperwork to apply for state services, are they not obligated to pursue each person named as the potential father? I've seen 5 named and each had to submit to the court. What if 20 potential fathers were named? Or 1000. By law, would they not be required to pursue each and every person named?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">