• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nice Guy finishes last!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blakeca

What is the name of your state? GA

Hello,

My brother is going through a divorce now and I have a few questions. The situation is difficult. He is a soldier and just returned home from Korea to find his wife pregnant by another man. He immediately began the divorce proceedure, but the female is making things harder than they have to be. She refuses to sign the paperwork, and she is always complaining about not having money. She cant work because she is to sick in her pregnancy. My brother set up an account and began giving her what the lawyer calculated, just trying to be a nice guy. But now she is asking for more money and doesnt seem to care or understand that she is not entitled to that money yet. I told him that since she refuses to sign stop the payments. Is my advice correct? Considering that he hasnt been ordered to pay because she wont sign the paperwork? What can he do to stop her from prolonging the process? It is our belief that she is going to prolong until she has the second child and use my brothers military insurance to do it. What can we do??

Crystal

Litigation!

blakeca said:

Hello,

My brother is going through a divorce now and I have a few questions. The situation is difficult. He is a soldier and just returned home from Korea to find his wife pregnant by another man. He immediately began the divorce proceedure, but the female is making things harder than they have to be. She refuses to sign the paperwork, and she is always complaining about not having money. She cant work because she is to sick in her pregnancy. My brother set up an account and began giving her what the lawyer calculated, just trying to be a nice guy. But now she is asking for more money and doesnt seem to care or understand that she is not entitled to that money yet. I told him that since she refuses to sign stop the payments. Is my advice correct? Considering that he hasnt been ordered to pay because she wont sign the paperwork? What can he do to stop her from prolonging the process? It is our belief that she is going to prolong until she has the second child and use my brothers military insurance to do it. What can we do??

Crystal

My response:

Who lives in the trailer?

IAAL

blakeca

Nice Guy Finishes last?

Thas very funny and unusual that you could have known that. She lives in a trailer, with her parents, my niece, her new childs father, her sister and her two kids, and her younger brother.

So Im guessing I told him correctly? Should he stop paying because they havent been to court because she is holding the paper work?:confused:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Your brother apparently has a lawyer - THAT is who should be advising him on how to proceed.

Litigation!

blakeca said:
That's very funny and unusual that you could have known that. She lives in a trailer, with her parents, my niece, her new childs father, her sister and her two kids, and her younger brother.

My response:

It's not unusual for me to have figured that someone in your story lives in a trailer. You see, what you described was typical "Trailer Trash thinking" and actions. Only Trailer Trash do as you have described. Oh, and remember, your brother isn't off the hook either - - you'll recall that he's the one who married her! This is typical behavior for people who live in Georgia and the other Dufus States. They walk around saying things like, "Duh yup."

Your brother's not too intelligent.

IAAL

brotymo

blakeca said:

Hello,

Crystal
Being a former military wife myself, as long as he is married to her, the military requires that he provide her with his BAH. He can get in trouble if he withholds that.

rzack

Ask your brother to get a lawyer, and if he cannot afford it get advise from the JAG. Ask him to start close any join account with her quickly, before she drain out all the money. No matter what, ask your brother to keep pushing her to sign the divorce paper. She just want free medical and free money. Lets her work for it. Do not give her money without any proof, this might be can used later in court for proof that he is paying her, do not give cash or agree to anything without his lawyer. My hubby's ex did this to him almost ten years before she agreed to sign the divorce paper, meanwhile she is staying with another man for that ten whole years. He reason, so that she can get the BAH amount monthly and also free medical and military wife benefits.

LdiJ

rzack said:
Ask your brother to get a lawyer, and if he cannot afford it get advise from the JAG. Ask him to start close any join account with her quickly, before she drain out all the money. No matter what, ask your brother to keep pushing her to sign the divorce paper. She just want free medical and free money. Lets her work for it. Do not give her money without any proof, this might be can used later in court for proof that he is paying her, do not give cash or agree to anything without his lawyer. My hubby's ex did this to him almost ten years before she agreed to sign the divorce paper, meanwhile she is staying with another man for that ten whole years. He reason, so that she can get the BAH amount monthly and also free medical and military wife benefits.
She is pregnant. In most states that would hold up a divorce anyway until after the child is born and a DNA test establishes that he is not the father. I don't know for sure if that is the case in GA (or whichever state is their state of official residence) however its a reasonable possibility.

She also isn't REQUIRED to agree to the divorce. If the pregnancy doesn't hold it up in the state that has jurisdiction, then he can push forward with it on a contested basis.

If your hubby's ex pulled that off for 10 years, then it was only because he didn't move forward on a contested basis.

rzack

Probably you're right, he wasn't contested enough, but its quite hard since he is stationed all over the places such as Germany and Korea, and in Maryland you have to separate for 2 years before you can file for divorce. Whatever it is, its end now. I just cannot understand how can some people still be someone's wife or husband (legally) and sleep with another person for years. Probably not everyone care about it :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">