Closed Thread
    ELDER is offline Junior Member

Angry No Child Support During Incarceration?

What is the name of your state? Texas

Ok, so I have a 12 year old son. I have not received child support from Dad in the last few years. Got the call today and found out that Dad was just sentenced to minimum of 20 years in prison. Just great....so I have done a little looking and from what I have found so far is that not only will I not get any child support for the next 20 years, but that he can get it modified so it is lowered. Where does that leave me and my child? For as long as I have not seen a child support check, it seems that someone is always looking out for him as it seems now, and who is looking out for us? Is there someone?What is the name of your state?
    CourtClerk is offline Senior Member
    Sitting at the computer probably rolling my eyes at your post
    Quote Originally Posted by ELDER View Post
    What is the name of your state? Texas

Ok, so I have a 12 year old son.
    alrighty
    I have not received child support from Dad in the last few years.
    That sucks
    Got the call today and found out that Dad was just sentenced to minimum of 20 years in prison.
    That sucks even more
    Just great....so I have done a little looking and from what I have found so far is that not only will I not get any child support for the next 20 years, but that he can get it modified so it is lowered.
    Lowered? It may as well be suspended all together.... gotta read the Texas Family Code to see if that's possible.
    Where does that leave me and my child?
    In the same place you are now. In a place where you receive no support and haven't for the last couple of years....
    For as long as I have not seen a child support check, it seems that someone is always looking out for him as it seems now, and who is looking out for us?
    You're supposed to be looking out for you guys just like you've been doing. What would you like the state to do not punish him for the crime that earned him 20 years in the pokie so he can pay his child support?
    Is there someone?
    You.
    MrsK is offline Senior Member
    Even if they DONT lower/suspend it, you arent going to get any support for awhile...maybe not ever...he could die in prison, and depending on how old he is, might die of old age, hell, he could die tommorrow for whatever reason.

I'd pretty much count on never getting support again. Find a way to live without it.
    CourtClerk is offline Senior Member
    Sitting at the computer probably rolling my eyes at your post
    Lets look on the bright side. If he doesn't die in prison, at least he'll still owe the arrears.
    MrsK is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CourtClerk View Post
    Lets look on the bright side. If he doesn't die in prison, at least he'll still owe the arrears.
    True. I doubt she'll ever see them, but hey, at least there's hope.
    Blue Meanie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CourtClerk View Post
    Perhaps OP could request her ex's prison "wages" be garnished...After all he will earn what? .25 or .50 cents an hour cleaning toilets right?
    ELDER is offline Junior Member
    Wow. Do you people consider being synnical helful to other people? I am just shocked that there is nothing for these children. So I guess we wait for Social Security death benefits and hope that helps pay for college.
    garrula lingua is offline Senior Member
    elder, I don't understand.
    Yes, it's terrible what their Dad did to those kids.
    He took himself, and the $ support he could have provided, away from those kids.

You have to pick up the slack and provide for them.
    Who else would ?

You chose that Dad to have kids with - you chose poorly.
    Get a second job to give the kids what they need to have a better life than yours or Dad's.