• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Child Support During Incarceration?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELDER

What is the name of your state? Texas

Ok, so I have a 12 year old son. I have not received child support from Dad in the last few years. Got the call today and found out that Dad was just sentenced to minimum of 20 years in prison. Just great....so I have done a little looking and from what I have found so far is that not only will I not get any child support for the next 20 years, but that he can get it modified so it is lowered. Where does that leave me and my child? For as long as I have not seen a child support check, it seems that someone is always looking out for him as it seems now, and who is looking out for us? Is there someone?What is the name of your state?

CourtClerk

What is the name of your state? Texas

Ok, so I have a 12 year old son.
alrighty
I have not received child support from Dad in the last few years.
That sucks
Got the call today and found out that Dad was just sentenced to minimum of 20 years in prison.
That sucks even more
Just great....so I have done a little looking and from what I have found so far is that not only will I not get any child support for the next 20 years, but that he can get it modified so it is lowered.
Lowered? It may as well be suspended all together.... gotta read the Texas Family Code to see if that's possible.
Where does that leave me and my child?
In the same place you are now. In a place where you receive no support and haven't for the last couple of years....
For as long as I have not seen a child support check, it seems that someone is always looking out for him as it seems now, and who is looking out for us?
You're supposed to be looking out for you guys just like you've been doing. What would you like the state to do not punish him for the crime that earned him 20 years in the pokie so he can pay his child support?
Is there someone?
You.

MrsK

Even if they DONT lower/suspend it, you arent going to get any support for awhile...maybe not ever...he could die in prison, and depending on how old he is, might die of old age, hell, he could die tommorrow for whatever reason.

I'd pretty much count on never getting support again. Find a way to live without it.

Just Blue

Lets look on the bright side. If he doesn't die in prison, at least he'll still owe the arrears.
Perhaps OP could request her ex's prison "wages" be garnished...After all he will earn what? .25 or .50 cents an hour cleaning toilets right? :rolleyes:

ELDER

Wow. Do you people consider being synnical helful to other people? I am just shocked that there is nothing for these children. So I guess we wait for Social Security death benefits and hope that helps pay for college.

garrula lingua

elder, I don't understand.
Yes, it's terrible what their Dad did to those kids.
He took himself, and the $ support he could have provided, away from those kids.

You have to pick up the slack and provide for them.
Who else would ?

You chose that Dad to have kids with - you chose poorly.
Get a second job to give the kids what they need to have a better life than yours or Dad's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">