• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Child Support Ordered in Divorce Decree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

niquern

What is the name of your state? Georgia/Maryland

I currently live in Georgia but the order was in Maryland. I am trying to find out if my original child support order is valid. Before I married my ex-husband we had a child support order. When we got divorced the order states child support is placed in "Reserved". During the proceedings the judge stated that since I didn't know how much my ex was making I had to go to Child Support Enforcement so they could find out how much he makes. Recently I was told by someone that my original order was still valid and I am trying to find out if that is a correct statement. I did go to the Child Support Enforcement office to re-open my case with them and they have me down as a modification case. If it is a modification case, does that mean they are going by the orginial order. They have actually closed my case because they have been unable to find him for over five years. Does any one know what it means in law if something is placed in "Reserved"?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Georgia/Maryland

I currently live in Georgia but the order was in Maryland. I am trying to find out if my original child support order is valid. Before I married my ex-husband we had a child support order. When we got divorced the order states child support is placed in "Reserved". During the proceedings the judge stated that since I didn't know how much my ex was making I had to go to Child Support Enforcement so they could find out how much he makes. Recently I was told by someone that my original order was still valid and I am trying to find out if that is a correct statement. I did go to the Child Support Enforcement office to re-open my case with them and they have me down as a modification case. If it is a modification case, does that mean they are going by the orginial order. They have actually closed my case because they have been unable to find him for over five years. Does any one know what it means in law if something is placed in "Reserved"?
I believe that your marriage cancelled out the original child support order. Unfortunately "reserved" means that no child support has been ordered. Which means that no arrearages have accumulated. You really should bypass the CSE and take it to court yourself. You may be able to serve him by publication and at least get an order based on minimum wage.

However, one way that you could find out for sure, is to ask the CSE if there are any accumulated arrearages.

niquern

I believe that your marriage cancelled out the original child support order. Unfortunately "reserved" means that no child support has been ordered. Which means that no arrearages have accumulated. You really should bypass the CSE and take it to court yourself. You may be able to serve him by publication and at least get an order based on minimum wage.

However, one way that you could find out for sure, is to ask the CSE if there are any accumulated arrearages.
I actually thought the same thing, but the CSE has the case down as modification and not new order. When I went in they had me fill out a form for arrearages. they told me that eventhough we were married he still had to pay. They told me to just give him credit for the months that we living in the same house. Trying to get in touch with CSE is a pain. You can never talk to a person that knows anything. But I am planning on going to court myself. I just need to be sure if I am going for contempt or to file a new case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">