• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

no legal or physical custody of child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cdeet

I live in Florida. I had sexual relations with a girl, who became pregnant and moved to Pennsylvania to live with her parents and have the child. She informed me of her pregnancy two months before the child's birth. I strongly suggested she put the child up for adoption, as I am not interested in this girl, or in having children at this time or any other time. She had the baby approxiamately three months ago, and is now filing for child support from me. On the summons, and included with all the paperwork, she has listed all of her expenses, and on a seperate sheet, the child's expenses. As she lives with her parents, her expenses are limited to clothing, cell phone, car costs, etc. The baby's costs total only about $200. I am not adverse to paying for my child. Her information states that she works as a waitress, but under monthly income it says $0.00. ( I am unsure whether she perhaps didn't fill in this area, and it came up as $0.00) Question 1: Am I obliged pay only the $200, or will I pay also for the mother's expenses? Question 2: If she was to move out of her parent's house, would I be obliged to pay for her rent, as the child would be living with her?

Thank you very much for this service, it has been very frustrating finding information on the internet.

cdeet said:
I live in Florida. I had sexual relations with a girl, who became pregnant and moved to Pennsylvania to live with her parents and have the child. She informed me of her pregnancy two months before the child's birth. I strongly suggested she put the child up for adoption, as I am not interested in this girl, or in having children at this time or any other time. She had the baby approxiamately three months ago, and is now filing for child support from me. On the summons, and included with all the paperwork, she has listed all of her expenses, and on a seperate sheet, the child's expenses. As she lives with her parents, her expenses are limited to clothing, cell phone, car costs, etc. The baby's costs total only about $200. I am not adverse to paying for my child. Her information states that she works as a waitress, but under monthly income it says $0.00. ( I am unsure whether she perhaps didn't fill in this area, and it came up as $0.00) Question 1: Am I obliged pay only the $200, or will I pay also for the mother's expenses? Question 2: If she was to move out of her parent's house, would I be obliged to pay for her rent, as the child would be living with her?

Thank you very much for this service, it has been very frustrating finding information on the internet.
You dont have the right to tell her to give away her child. If you were not ready to have a child and were not interested in her, perhaps you should have thought that through.Child support is based on your income and hers not just what each of you think it costs to raise a child.
You are obligated to pay what they tell you to pay. Doesnt matter if she lives with parents or not. You pay what they say you pay bottom line. Next time prepare yourself

Gracie3787

cdeet said:

Before accurate answers to your questions can given, we need to know 2 things;

1. Is the summons from Florida ?

2. Is there any summons or mention of DNA testing for paternity?

Phnx02

cdeet said:

If you don't voluntarily agree as being the child's biological father, a DNA test will be ordered to establish paternity. Then, child support will be ordered based on your state's guidelines. Usually this is 20% of your monthly net income. You will have to provide paycheck stubs and possibly a W-2 to determine this amount. It doesn't matter whether the ex lives with her parents, on her own apartment, or even with a boyfriend - you will still have to pay a certain amount regardless. When a person first files for CS, it is standard for the courts to ask what her income and expenses are too - to determine if any daycare or extraordinary expeneses (like if the child is disabled and requires a home nurse for example) also needs to be considered when determining how much CS you should pay. Once a monthly amount if figured, this payment is for her expenses such as rent, food, utilities, clothing, etc - to provide for the child. You will not pay extra towards these things individually - the CS payment is for these things. FYI: most states also require the NCP to provide health insurance.

Gracie3787

In Florida CS is determined by using BOTH parent's net incomes. Not the 20% that has been suggested.

This is one of the reason's it is necassary to know what state's laws apply before answering a question. Which is why I asked what state the summons is from.

LdiJ

Gracie3787 said:
In Florida CS is determined by using BOTH parent's net incomes. Not the 20% that has been suggested.

This is one of the reason's it is necassary to know what state's laws apply before answering a question. Which is why I asked what state the summons is from.
That is true Gracie, however on the average, despite the different ways that states calculate child support, it still generally works out to be about 17% of gross or 20% of net. Therefore thats a good "ballpark" figure for someone to work with.

cdeet

Gracie3787 said:
Before accurate answers to your questions can given, we need to know 2 things;

1. Is the summons from Florida ?

2. Is there any summons or mention of DNA testing for paternity?

Yes, the summons is from florida

Yes, there is a form for DNA testing for paternity. The paternity test will be done this week

Thank you for your quick reply

Gracie3787

cdeet said:

Since the mother is claiming a zero income, and because the CS will be determined by using combined incomes, you can and should ask that income be imputed to her of at least min. wage.

You will also be required to pay a portion of day care costs.

You can go to www.flsenate.gov/statutes/ and read chapters 61, 88 and 409 for more info.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">