• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-custodial arrested

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

atx

What is the name of your state? Texas

Hello,

When the non-custodial parent has been arrested on a CP non-compliant warrant, will he have to pay the full amount of the warrant before he is released from jail?
Or is he allowed to just pay a bond and take off again not to be seen or heard from for another year or so?

Thanks

VeronicaGia

Typically there is a purge amount. It all depends on the judge. However, if the NCP is thousands behind and ends up doing a lot of time in jail, how will you get child support then?

LdiJ

VeronicaGia said:
Typically there is a purge amount. It all depends on the judge. However, if the NCP is thousands behind and ends up doing a lot of time in jail, how will you get child support then?
Judge's will sometimes reduce initial purge amounts too....if they are convinced that a certain amount is the max that the person can come up with.

TNBSMommy

My ex was arrested for nonpayment of CS, he got legal aid and ended up paying a $500 purge on a $28,500 arrearage. Since then we have gotten a new DA who said that was ridiculous, and he didn't know how it could have happened,and if I took him back in front of the judge we would "get some money out of him"...

Tinaa

I got a $2,000 purge (out of ~$25,000), but it took 3 months to get the money. He has since made just enough payments to stay out of jail. Good luck to you.

atx

That's what I figured. The Office of the Attorney Generals kept telling me he had to pay the full amount. I knew that just could not have been true. You would think that they would know this information. Sometimes they are so worthless!

You know there are alot of people on this forum that state that NCPs' have it the worse. That is such crap!
They are going to allow him pay some tiny ass purge amount and then he's gone again for another year or so!
So my hands are tied again! There is nothing else I can do. Is there?

<< VeronicaGia - However, if the NCP is thousands behind and ends up doing a lot of time in jail, how will you get child support then?>> He hasn't paid in almost two years. If he is not going to pay me, I would rather see his ass in jail!

Thank you all so much for the info.

Last edited:

TNBSMommy

atx, I have been asked that same question... I replied, I assumed he would pay it the same way he always had, not at all(at that point in time), which would be why he owed so much in arrears.

Good luck, and hang in there!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">