• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non custodial parent moved

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Teresa2016

I'm the custodial parent of 2 kids. The non custodial parent moved 6 hours away. The non custodial parent was paying child support in MO before he moved to Indiana. There is no visitation set. What can I do?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm the custodial parent of 2 kids. The non custodial parent moved 6 hours away. The non custodial parent was paying child support in MO before he moved to Indiana. There is no visitation set. What can I do?
Do about what?

Was the child support court ordered? Has he continued paying? If not, and if there is an order, you can have the order domesticated in his state so that his wages can be garnished. If there is no court order, then you can head to court to have an order established.

Teresa2016

Yes it was ordered through child support enforcement. Paternity was established. He was paying in MO. I was wondering if I contact the CPS in MO where I live or the state where he moved?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes it was ordered through child support enforcement. Paternity was established. He was paying in MO. I was wondering if I contact the CPS in MO where I live or the state where he moved?
Give the child support enforcement folks his new contact information. If you have any information on his new employer, pass that along too.

CPS (Child Protective Services) has nothing to do with this.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Yes he had stopped paying, this makes twice. I believe he moved around the middle of this month.
Whatever info you have, just pass it on the child support folks in MO. They'll take care of it.

As for visitation... If there are no visitation orders, then I guess for the moment it's whatever you two can agree to. And, since he's created the distance, I can see why you'd be less than enthusiastic about providing the bulk of the transportation. I suggest you familiarize yourself with some standard distance visitation plans, so that you have some idea of what is considered "reasonable" in court. If Dad wants to see the kids regularly and you can agree on a schedule, write it up and file it with the court. If you think Dad's expectations are unreasonable, he can choose to file for the terms of visitation he wants, and you can counter with what seems to be reasonable/standard for your situation.

(An example of "unreasonable" would be if Dad expected every weekend, every school break, every birthday, Mother's Day, and for you to shoulder the burden of all costs of transportation.)

If the problem is Dad isn't really interested in a regular visitation schedule, then that's his loss.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">