• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-payment of Support and Medical bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shalene707

I live in CA and my son was born in GA. He is 4 years old and I have been told that since my childs father is on SSI, he does not have to pay me child support. He is on SSI for Bi-polar but it does not impeed his ability to work he is just simply lazy. He has not paid one cent since my son was born and on top of it there are unpaid medical bills that show up on my credit report b/c he hasnt paid them either. He is a dead beat dad and he has no place in my sons life due to his history with domestic abuse, drugs, drinking etc.. Is there a way that I can get child support, get the medical bills off my credit and get him declared a dead-beat dad so he has no custody rights?

Proserpina

I live in CA and my son was born in GA. He is 4 years old and I have been told that since my childs father is on SSI, he does not have to pay me child support. He is on SSI for Bi-polar but it does not impeed his ability to work he is just simply lazy. He has not paid one cent since my son was born and on top of it there are unpaid medical bills that show up on my credit report b/c he hasnt paid them either. He is a dead beat dad and he has no place in my sons life due to his history with domestic abuse, drugs, drinking etc.. Is there a way that I can get child support, get the medical bills off my credit and get him declared a dead-beat dad so he has no custody rights?

Being approved for disability is NOT easy. And it NEVER happens because someone is "lazy", no matter what anyone else might think.

Let's get that one out of the way.

As for the rest of your post...his SSI cannot be garnished. At all. Even if. Get used to that, too.

"Dead-beat" is not a legal term, and child support is not a ticket to see the child. So, unless a court says otherwise, the reality is that he could (if he bothers) be visiting kiddo even if he's not paying child support.

anapr

has not paid one cent since my son was born and on top of it there are unpaid medical bills that show up on my credit report b/c he hasnt paid them either. He is a dead beat dad
Woah there. Slow your roll.

First, it sounds as if there is no child support order in place. If that is the case then dad is under no obligation to pay medical bills. That means that you are the deadbeat for not paying those bills.

If you want child support, file for it. But I second what Pro said and will reiterate that you don't get to have your cake and eat it, too.

If you file for support, expect that dad will ask for visitation--as he should.

CSO286

I live in CA and my son was born in GA. He is 4 years old and I have been told that since my childs father is on SSI, he does not have to pay me child support.
No, you misunderstand. SSI cannot be garnished for child support. Doesn't mean a person can't still be ordered to pay support. Of course, at that income level, the order would be incredibly small...

He is on SSI for Bi-polar but it does not impeed his ability to work he is just simply lazy.
Are you a qualified mental health professional able to make that kind of a determination?

He also seems to have been industrious enough to help create the child.

He has not paid one cent since my son was born
Has he been ordered to do so? Is he even the child's legal father? Is he on the birth certificate?

and on top of it there are unpaid medical bills that show up on my credit report b/c he hasnt paid them either.
Is he ordered to pay them?
Who took the child to the doctor? Who signed the "consent to treat" form at the clinic/hopsital? Are you aware that there is also usually a garuntor (sp) statement on that form indicating that the person siginng the form accepts responsibility for any bills over and above what is covered by insurance?

He is a dead beat dad and he has no place in my sons life due to his history with domestic abuse, drugs, drinking etc..
And yet, you thought he was Grade A prime parent material when you decided to make a baby with him.

And, no, it's not just sex. When you have sex, you are saying with your body that you approve your partner as a potential parent to any resultant children. If you can't say that "Gee, I'd love to co-parent with you for the next 18-20 years", turn around and walk away.

Is there a way that I can get child support,
File for it. Even if you do get an order for it, it's going ot be very nearly impossible to make him pay, given his income souce.

get the medical bills off my credit
Pay them.

and get him declared a dead-beat dad so he has no custody rights?
You don't get someone "declared a deadbeat." Doesn't work that way. Is there a custody order in place? Were you married at the child's birth? If the answer to both questions is no, then you have sole legal/physical custody by default. This means you can set the terms for when and how much time Dad (if he is even Dad at this point) spends with the child.

Last edited:

tuffbrk

Um...I can appreciate your frustration at being a single parent from a financial perspective. You may want to educate yourself a bit about what it is to be bi-polar. Although from your perspective Dad may seem to be physically fit and able to work, quite often the drugs used to control the disease may impede his ability to drive, to be trained in a field of study and to retain information. I'm not stating that is so in his case, however, it is not outside the realm of possibility. Perhaps if you better understood the disease, the "cure" and their potential side effects you can garner a bit of empathy and understanding. If nothing else it may improve your attitude that your child is exposed to daily.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">