• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-Payments of Child Support due to unemployment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tammy Brown

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

My husband is not able to make his child support payments due to unemployment stopping. He has no bank accounts of any kind, no 401K, and owns no property/cars or anything. What can they do to him?

CSO286

My husband is not able to make his child support payments due to unemployment stopping. He has no bank accounts of any kind, no 401K, and owns no property/cars or anything. What can they do to him?
Suspend his driver's or occupational license, prevent him from obtaining a recreational (hunting/fishing license), report his nonpayment to credit bureaus, put a hold on any student grants, deny him a passport, levy any bank accounts his name is on, intercept any tax refunds, oh, yes, and possible jail time.

He needs to contact his case worker and discuss a modification and keep looking for work.

Proserpina

Suspend his license, jail him....

He needs to file immediately to see if he can get the current order modified based upon involuntarily unemployment.

(The court doesn't have to grant this - but he won't get it if he doesn't try)

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
If husband goes to jail, he might be eligible to participate in work-release to allow him to catch up with his CS obligation. I know there are one or two counties in Bama who do this.

Link to Alabama Administrative Court site on Child Support:
Alabama Unified Judicial System -- judicial.alabama.gov

DHR website on Child Support:
http://www.dhr.state.al.us/page.asp?pageid=288

Schedule of Basic Child Support:
Alabama Unified Judicial System -- judicial.alabama.gov

DHR Website for CS Payments (paying via DHR)
https://216.226.178.178/opi/login.asp

State of AL Website for CS Payments (paying via the court system)
Alabama Central Disbursement Division

Worksheet used in Alabama to compute Child Support:
disLogonGrid
(It's number 42)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

I hope he's told his ex that kiddo will need to cut back to one meal a day. :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">