• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non relative with permanent custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Eastkygirl37

In live in the state of Kentucky and Social services placed a non relative in my care in August 2012.
The judge granted me Permanent custody of the child in February 2013.
I've had the child this whole time and both Mom and Dad hasn't called or came to see her.
In 2014 I filed for child support and as soon as the Dad was served with the papers he went and filed a motion for full custody, after talking with the Dad he said that if I dropped the child support case then he would withdraw his motion for full custody. So we did.
So fast forward to October 2016 I made a mistake and decided the parents needed to pay child support so I filed a motion for child support,Ok again as soon as the Dad got notified of the child support he went again and filed a motion for full custody.
Well when we went to court in November 2016 for the child support the fathers lawyer had it put off until the custody hearing in March.
I know he is the biological father but he hasn't seen or done anything for her in over 5 years! As a matter of fact the Father actually had her from December 2011 to April 2012 and gave her back to social services because the Step Mom didn't want her!
I know in my heart that he doesn't want her and the only reason he is trying to take her is to hurt me.
My question is do you honestly think I've got any chance at all keeping her?
I know I should've left well enough alone but it hurts me to see the Biological mom and dad doing for their other kids but not her. I'm really going crazy thinking about this all the time.
Please any advice would really help!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm sorry, but I didn't actually see anything in your posting that indicates the alleged father is an unfit parent. It may take time, but I suspect that if the alleged father properly pursues this, he's got a pretty decent chance of getting his child (assuming he's actually the father).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">