• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not recieving Child support.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ericheu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My wives ex was fired from his security guard job (taking care of personal activities on company time) at the beginning of the year. He said he couldn't get unemployment because they told him they wouldn't pay and he probably never filed. He has been telling us that he can't find a job and he refuses to take a job for $10-12 per/hour. His mother is apparently paying for him and he is able to go on a number of vacations to Florida, the dells, visit family in Wisconsin not to mention can afford to eat out, smoke, drink and buy video games for his PS3 but somehow he can't afford to pay child support, the children's insurance, medical co-pays or anything else. He told my wife that because I married her that I am supposed to support his children and he doesn't have to do anything and we legally can't do anything because he doesn't have a job. I really don't want to spend the money to fight this battle in court but it is looking like i don't have much of a choice. He owes about 4k and is not looking for employment at all, blaming it on the economy. I could understand if he had an MBA or a profession but he is an unskilled laborer and can get a job anywhere for close to what he was getting before. He was only making about $15.00 an hour.

single317dad

My wives ex was fired from his security guard job (taking care of personal activities on company time) at the beginning of the year. He said he couldn't get unemployment because they told him they wouldn't pay and he probably never filed. He has been telling us that he can't find a job and he refuses to take a job for $10-12 per/hour. His mother is apparently paying for him and he is able to go on a number of vacations to Florida, the dells, visit family in Wisconsin not to mention can afford to eat out, smoke, drink and buy video games for his PS3 but somehow he can't afford to pay child support, the children's insurance, medical co-pays or anything else.
I'm assuming there is a child support order through the court? If so, your wife (not you) needs to contact child support enforcement and they will assist her.

He told my wife that because I married her that I am supposed to support his children and he doesn't have to do anything and we legally can't do anything because he doesn't have a job.
All untrue.

I really don't want to spend the money to fight this battle in court but it is looking like i don't have much of a choice. He owes about 4k and is not looking for employment at all, blaming it on the economy. I could understand if he had an MBA or a profession but he is an unskilled laborer and can get a job anywhere for close to what he was getting before. He was only making about $15.00 an hour.
All irrelevant. He must follow the court order or face the consequences, including imprisonment, loss of license and passport, etc.

ericheu

I know I can't do anything legally, but she didn't know what else to do or where to go so I am helping gather information. She called Illinois Child Service and they told her there was nothing they could do. Also the court order states that they are supposed to get insurance for the children and split the cost but since he doesn't have a job or any insurance of his own and my wife works part time I had to pick up the slack and luckily I was able to cover them under my work insurance. Is there anything i can do to get that back from him or am I just screwed for doing the right thing?

mistoffolees

I know I can't do anything legally, but she didn't know what else to do or where to go so I am helping gather information. She called Illinois Child Service and they told her there was nothing they could do. Also the court order states that they are supposed to get insurance for the children and split the cost but since he doesn't have a job or any insurance of his own and my wife works part time I had to pick up the slack and luckily I was able to cover them under my work insurance. Is there anything i can do to get that back from him or am I just screwed for doing the right thing?
If she called the right office (look up child support enforcement), then she needs to speak to a supervisor or a different case worker. There most certainly are things that the state can do.

I know that Kansas is not Illinois, but you may have to open a case with HFS in order for CSE to get involved. In order to get CSE involved with my ex not paying CS, I had to go through SRS and put in an application for CSE assistance.

Just a thought... it might have to work the same way in IL.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
So... neither parent is adequately supporting the children? Perhaps it's time for your wife to find full time employment, or another part time job.

single317dad

I believe Illinois Child Service is CPS/DCS. Not the agency you want. You probably need the child support/IV-D prosecutor that can be found at the county courthouse or government center.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">