• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not so sure about this!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AMBIL

What is the name of your state? IL

My fiance pays $2000.00 a month in CS for one child. I paid for a trip for him and I to go away to Mexico for a week. When the ex found out she had a fit. She told him that if he can afford to go away then he owes her more CS. (He has this message saved and recorded from his voicemail) His income has increased and per her calcuations he owes her $160.00 a month more. It has been less then 3 years since the orginal CS was set. Can she really honestly take him back to court for $160.00? He pays half of daycare, outside activities, healthcare and dental as he should, but I can't imagine what $160.00 is going to do? She is remarried to a very wealthy man herself, NOT THAT HE SHOULD SUPPORT MY FIANCES DAUGHTER! I am just pointing out that she is well taken care of. Also when we were on our trip he called his daughter and the mother was yelling in the backround "tell your father we are going to court and he owes me money because he doesn't give me enough money to take care of you"! I feel sick about it! I can't believe a mother would do that to a little child. ANyhow I'm asking if she can get the money or should we just blow it off. The last thing we really want to do is have a court battle. The ex calls my fiance about 2-3 times EACH day and leaves him all these crazy messages. Its like she cant get over the fact they are divorced and she left him!!! And whenever I answer the phone she tells him I have no right to answer the phone! It's amazing!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Okay you need to be out of it first thing. Another if he is paying her $2000 a month and it would only increase by $160 a month then that is NOT a 10% that most states require before they will modify it. His income must be quite hefty to cost that much a year for one child.

AMBIL

Do you mean out of as in don't get involved? I was just looking for some re-assurance. My fiance does make a good living, but of course when you have an ex calling making threats all the time you start ( we start) to wonder how much of this is true. I appreciate your reply though. Sounds pretty ridiculous to venture to court over $160.00 a month! :) I didn't know if Illinois stood by the 10% increase or not. I've heard some states are 20%. So I'm (we) are not sure.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
AMBIL said:
Do you mean out of as in don't get involved? I was just looking for some re-assurance. My fiance does make a good living, but of course when you have an ex calling making threats all the time you start ( we start) to wonder how much of this is true. I appreciate your reply though. Sounds pretty ridiculous to venture to court over $160.00 a month! :) I didn't know if Illinois stood by the 10% increase or not. I've heard some states are 20%. So I'm (we) are not sure.
Okay lets put it this way -- 160 a month isn't even 10% so it definitely isn't 20% either. So based on the percentage differential there should be no modification.
And yes you can't really be involved because this is not your "fight". And for some people $160 a month is a lot of money if NOT THE ENTIRE AMOUNT OF CS they receive. In this case apparently it is pennies but for some that would be a huge change.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Wait one - is the $2000 JUST CS, or are you also including the portion of daycare, medical, etc that he pays?

ceara19

stealth2 said:
Wait one - is the $2000 JUST CS, or are you also including the portion of daycare, medical, etc that he pays?
I was wondering why the OP even came HERE to get "Free" advice. If the BF is paying $2000 because of his income level is so high, he can certainly afford a lawyer.

LdiJ

ceara19 said:
I was wondering why the OP even came HERE to get "Free" advice. If the BF is paying $2000 because of his income level is so high, he can certainly afford a lawyer.
No kidding...in IL its 20% of your net for one child....so even if daycare is factored in he has to be making at least 10k a month.

ceara19

LdiJ said:
No kidding...in IL its 20% of your net for one child....so even if daycare is factored in he has to be making at least 10k a month.
With that kind of cash flow, he really shouldn't start a battle over $160 a month.

AMBIL

I came here for free advice for the sake of comfort. My fiance doesn't want to get an attorney because he feels it will be a waste of money. We were just wondering if this is even possible. The 2k is just CS. He also pays half of daycare, healthcare, dental and activities. So it comes out to be more then 2k. He also contributes to a college fund each month. I do realize that $160.00 is not a small amount of money especially considering what most moms get. I just don't think $160.00 is a lot compared to what she is already receiving. I think you are right though it is a matter of pinching pennies. I realize that but sometimes when you hear so many threats you start to wonder if it's all true. I wasn't trying to overstep my bounds with this question, my fiance knows that I asked.

rzack

Just ignore her..if she wants to file, up to her and just go to the court. Furthermore even if $160 as you said not so much, so if the court say pay it, just pay it. You will see her number when she call, so do not pick up, let your fiancee deal with it. But when go to court, make sure he let the judge know about other extra payments he makes other than CS. It sounds like his ex doesn't want him to be happy. She should just go on with her life. She is lucky that your fiancee pays that much and care about his child. Some people just doesn't know how to be thankful. Good luck.

haiku

:rolleyes: my husband pays much less than that a month and I can easily flush 160 bucks down the toilet every month if I wanted.

give me a break**************

tigger22472

haiku said:
:rolleyes: my husband pays much less than that a month and I can easily flush 160 bucks down the toilet every month if I wanted.

give me a break**************

*trying to figure out how to hook my system up to Haiku to catch that 160$ a month* :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">